The Vile Village (Ending)

The Baudelaire children quickly realized that they were at the end of the line, a phrase which here means that they will soon see their final days. The term is often used for villains when they are about to see their final days, but I am deeply sorry to inform you that in this story, the villains always got close to the end of the line but never actually get to the end of the line.

My name is Joi Snicket, and I took up the responsibility to tell you about the rest of the Baudeliares' unlucky lives, while my uncle, Lemony Snicket, is on the lam. I've practically used up my entire life to learn about being a volunteer and about the Baudeleliares' series of unfortunate events, just like my uncle.

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny were attempting to buy time for their friends, the Quagmires, to escape from their other friend's, Hector's, self-sustaining hot air mobile home. Violet was pointing the firetruck's hose to the angry mob of villagers of the Village of Fowl Devotees, while Klaus was informing them about its capabilities in all the books he's read about them. Sunny, despite the fact she was a toddler, was at the wheel, in case the Baudelaires might need to make an emergency getaway, and let's face it...

... they always do.

Violet and Klaus were tempted to look behind them and check if Isadora and Duncan Quagmire have finally climbed to the top of the ladder. But at the same time, did not want to look away from Count Olaf and Esme Gigi Genevieve Squalor. Especially since Esme had a loaded harpoon gun.

"Stand down, Baudelaires!" Their banker, Mr. Poe, politely urged from behind 'Detective Dupin' and 'Officer Luciana'. He tilted his head upwards at the ladder. "You too, Quagmires! Get down and stand down."

Klaus snuck a peek at Isadora; she was at the top of the firetruck's ladder, the tips of her fingers barely even brushing the rope one hanging from the self-sustaining hot air mobile home. Her triplet brother was giving glances between Isadora and the older Baudelaire from the middle of the firetruck's ladder. The middle Baudelaire had a sudden reflex to scream "Be careful Isadora!" every single time she nearly slipped, which we can all understand when we have a person we care about to slip up and almost fall to his or her death, or if she were to just fall and injure herself terribly.

For Klaus, this seemed like an unusual sensation. The only people he can recall wanting to scream 'be careful' were his sisters. He felt like his heart was going to leap out of his chest, a phrase which here means that his heart was beating loudly and rapidly. Klaus Baudelaire knew that his heart couldn't actually leap out of his chest but felt it in a figurative way, which if you've been paying attention, meant that he only felt it. For if Klaus's heart literally leaped out of his chest, which frankly seemed impossible, he'd be more scared than he already is and would need to go to a nearby hospital immediately.

"I've got it!" Isadora yelled down at her triplet and the Baudelaires. "I'm going up!"

"Oh no, you are not!" Count Olaf/Detective Dupin grumbled, snatching the harpoon gun out of Esme/Officer Luciana's grasp. He received a huff in return but ignored it, for his only focus was preventing Isadora Quagmire from reaching the self-sustaining hot air mobile home. "I'm not letting my sapphires run away from me." From behind his sunglasses, his sharp eye was able to shoot - not at Isadora - but on the very rope she was holding onto.

The young poet yelped in surprise and ended up hanging upside-down on the ladder with only her ankle. The mob of villagers of the Village of Fowl Devotees gasped in shock, freezing in fear with a hope that the Quagmire girl wouldn't fall only so that she could come down herself and let the mob burn her at the stakes.

"Isadora!" Duncan screamed for his triplet sister, attempting to reach for her while holding onto the firetruck ladder at the same time. But you can see that Duncan was worried about his safety more than his sister. Not for selfish reasons, but so that he can pull both of them to safety.

The Quagmires' only daughter opened her eyes drowsily. She felt as if her head were spinning but knew that she wasn't literally spinning. "Help..." She muttered before she passed out.

Klaus read enough books to know that Isadora didn't pass out from fear. If you've read as many books or watched as many scenarios, which here means 'a postulated sequence or development of events' or 'a written outline of a movie, novel, or stage work giving details of the plot and individual scenes', Isadora passed out due to the blood circulation going directly to her head. But even Klaus didn't think to hesitate since he knows that Isadora is brave enough to not be afraid in this situation.

"Hand me another arrow, would you darling?" Count Olaf/Detective Dupin asked over his shoulder at Esme/Officer Luciana. She smirked maliciously, a word which means 'in a manner characterized by malice or ill will with the intent to do harm'. She passed her boyfriend another arrow and watched as he loaded it into the harpoon gun. The horrid villain chuckled as he aimed once again at the ladder and pulled the trigger.

With a quick eye like a hawk, which everyone knows is just a saying, Klaus came to the conclusion that the arrow would tear the rope ladder, causing Isadora to fall straight downwards and possibly get a concussion. He knew the time to save the young poet was now, for the time was of the essence, a phrase which is used in the situation where everyone knew there should be no time wasted in saving Isadora Quagmire.

Just before the arrow could come in contact with the ladder, he spun around quickly and jumped down off the platform he was previously standing on. He slid on his knees in an attempt to make a last-second save.

Fortunately, he did.

The unconscious girl fell into the bookworm's arms. To the mob, Count Olaf's theatre troop and Mr. Poe, it seemed like it was a miracle that she survived the fall. To Violet, Sunny and Duncan, it was a shock that Klaus did his previous actions. To me, it seems like it was one of the only fortunate events that happened to the Baudelaires and/or Quagmires besides all those times they escaped Count Olaf's clutches. But to Klaus Baudelaire, it seemed like he just couldn't get rid of that familiar feeling of butterflies in his stomach as he looked at the girl in his arms.

"Duncan, come down!" Violet called the Quagmire on the ladder. "We'll escape in the firetruck."

"Got it!" Duncan replied almost immediately, thankful he doesn't have to be on the ladder anymore.

Without putting down the heavy hose, Violet looked up at Hector, who was still in his self-sustaining hot air mobile home. "Hector!" She yelled. "We won't be able to make it. Leave, and live your life up in the clouds, just like you've always dreamed."

"Are you sure?" He asked. "I don't wanna feel guilty about leaving you to die."

The young inventor gave a warm smile. "We'll be okay."

Hector hesitated. Then he nodded before pulling a lever. He began to fly higher, farther away from the Village of Fowl Devotees. Farther away from the mob. Farther away from the Baudelaires and their comrades.

As Violet watched the crowd stare in awe at Hector's invention, she turned to Sunny and whispered two words. "Punch it." Sunny turned back towards the road before her and giggled, "Rehabetch!"

Once Violet placed the hose down and huddled into the firetruck's rear seating assist system, or what I like to refer to it as the back seating deck, she translated what Sunny said. "She says it's gonna get bumpy so hold on!"

Duncan sat on the left-hand side, across from where Klaus propped himself up on, gently placing Isadora's head on his lap with his feet stretched out in front of him. Violet sat in between them, making herself seated forwards. They all held tight as the infant Baudelaire hit the gas and left the Village of Fowl Devotees.

The shouts of protests from the mob of villagers became faint behind them as they drove farther and farther away. In the west, you could see the beautiful and calming colors of the sunset.

"You guys get some sleep," Violet announced, cautiously standing up. "I'll sit up front with Sunny and try to navigate around here."

Duncan stood up as well. "I'm going with you," he said. "I'd much rather give these lovebirds some alone time."

All the Baudelaires rolled their eyes at the journalist's remark as he and Violet jumped up to the front seat. But in the back of his mind, Klaus Baudelaire was secretly pleased with this.