Chapter 4 = A Person, Not an Appliance

The first 2 images were shared with me on DeviantArt by my brilliant friend AgentSandraCartrip, who is also here on Wattpad! Thanks for these, Sandra! Thought I'd include these because they're fitting for this chapter, which involves a flashback

The first 2 images were shared with me on DeviantArt by my brilliant friend AgentSandraCartrip, who is also here on Wattpad! Thanks for these, Sandra! Thought I'd include these because they're fitting for this chapter, which involves a flashback. The 3rd image is one that I found by myself.      :)

Maurice, Bruce and Isaac all remembered the events of 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks before the events of this story. When Xianni was still trapped within the walls of Birmingham National Laboratory, and the conversation with Dr Martin Keagan that day.

*FLASHBACK*

It was a Friday afternoon on the 11th May, starting to become evening. Outside the lab, the sun was beginning to set, painting the sky with hues of orange, yellow and pink.

But inside the lab, however, was an entirely different story. Dr Keagan, the scientist from New Jersey who ran the lab, stood at a computer desk, evaluating some data on a screen. Keagan had a slender build, with short brown hair, hazel eyes, and he wore black-framed glasses and a long white lab coat.

"Sir." Came a British voice from behind him, and Keagan turned around to see Dr Maurice White.

"Problem, Dr White?" Keagan asked.

"Yes, actually. We wanted to talk to you for a moment if you have the time." He said, and he was flanked by Dr Bruce Sanders, an American, and Dr Isaac Taylor, a British man like him.

"Go on. I'm listening." Said Keagan as he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back against the computer desk slightly.

"We think your methods towards the extra-terrestrial we found are, if I'm to be quite blunt, unorthodox and downright harsh." Isaac began.

"How so?" Asked Keagan, his tone of voice beginning to sound more mysterious as he raised one eyebrow.

"Well, if she misbehaves, you beat her, and you never really consider her feelings in all this." Continued Isaac.

"Why should I? It doesn't deserve it's feelings to be considered. I don't believe our laws apply to an alien android." Keagan shrugged.

"See? This is what we're talkin' about, right here! Honestly, you should hear yourself sometimes." Said Bruce, becoming exasperated with his boss. "She's not an 'it'! She has a name, which is Xianni! You talk about her like she's an appliance. This is an actual, living person we're talking about here, human or not!"

"Use whatever pronoun you want, Sanders, but imagine what we could do with that girl. Imagine what use her parts would be in the military, in national defense, in weapons! This is for the greater good. It could be a benefit for the whole planet." Keagan argued.

"Oh, right. Is it really a worldwide benefit, or just your own personal gain?" Isaac said coldly.

Keagan's face twisted into a scowl, and Isaac was greeted with an icy glare.

"With respect, SIR, you can't just treat someone like a guinea pig or a scrap of metal, even if they're not human." Maurice added, putting aggressive emphasis on the word 'sir'. He was starting to lose his patience with Keagan.

"I think you'll find, White, that yes, I can. I call the shots around here. That girl is my problem, not yours." After saying this, Keagan then paused for a moment before adding, with a mixture of mystery and silent rage, "And I think it's high time that all 3 of you decide where your loyalties lie."

And with that, Keagan turned on his heel and left the room without another word, the only remnant of his presence being his footsteps, which were heard growing distant down the corridor with every step, leaving the 3 scientists alone.

*END OF FLASHBACK*