Chapter 12 = The Boss

It was late in the evening by the time the group got to the powerplant on the outskirts of London, and it was still light outside, but the sun was beginning to set ever so slowly. The power plant was like a tower block of electrical energy, home to the power outlets sending that energy all across London and other parts of England.

But because of how much energy this power plant supplied, it was also the group's last hope in getting Xianni home.

So once the BMW arrived there that evening, averybody got out and made sure to bring the guns with them just in case they encountered any problems, and after Sandra had locked the car, they all ran out towards the main power plant, which was right next to a grassy field on a hillside.

"Can you gain enough energy from here?" Isaac asked Xianni as they stood a fair distance away from the machinery of the power plant, enclosed within a barbed-wire fence.

"I think so." Replied Xianni. Her left eye, the bright purple one with a slitted iris, glowed brightly as if it had been fashioned out of an actual star. "I'll try to send out a psychic communication and see what happens." 

"I realise we've only known each other a short time, but I'm gonna be sad to see you gone." Sandra then said, and Jenny nodded in agreement. 

"Yeah. That's true. We're gonna really miss ya, Xianni." Bruce added. 

"Thank you, everyone. It means a lot to me, and I shall miss every single one of you as well." Xianni smiled. "But now we must hurry if I'm going to get home before Keagan catches us in the act." 

Dr Riley, meanwhile, was sat in the driver's seat of one of the black Land Rovers, getting closer to the power plant in pursuit of the group on the orders of Keagan. He grinned to himself at the memory of Oswald's punishment a few hours beforehand. He deserved it... Dr Riley thought To himself, because he was still as sociopathic and cunning as his boss, even though he hadn't made as many mistakes as Oswald had done. 

Pretty soon, he, along with 2 other reinforcing Land Rovers following him, arrived near to the grassy field next to the power plant. Without a single word to each other, they all climbed out when they arrived and cocked their guns. 

You can't hide forever. We're so close... Riley also thought to himself with glee. 

"What do we do now?" Asked Sandra as Xianni began to send out a communication to her species with the power residing in her left eye. 

"All we can do is wait, and then hopefully her people will come." Isaac answered.

Suddenly, though, Xianni's facial expression changed to show fear and anticipation. "I sense someone else here. Someone bad!" She exclaimed worriedly. "Get down!" She also yelled, and everyone ducked down as a bullet went flying over their heads and into the trees, causing the numerous sparrows and crows in the trees to scatter.

"You're lucky that was just a warning shot." A voice said, and they turned to look at who'd said this.

"Dr Riley?!" Yelled Bruce in surprise. "Where's your buddy Oswald?"

"The boss has... dealt with him... shall we say, for making far too many mistakes regarding your capture." Then the group noticed that there were also many other scientists with guns circling them. They were surrounded.

"You mean he's dead?" Said Sandra.

Riley smiled. That dark, mysterious smile similar to Keagan's. "You catch on quick." He commented.

"Keagan killed his own henchman?!" Jenny was shocked at this.

"Richard was a fool for letting you all get away. He even had an elaborate plan, as well. Such a shame it went to waste." Riley said simply, as if he put very little value in human life, even in the life of his loyal coworker. Then the sound of a car engine was heard, and a white Audi TT soon pulled up in front of them. It would stand out from the black Land Rovers drastically.

"Anyway, I'm done debating the matter." Riley added when he saw the Audi pull up.

"It's the boss." Said Maurice with a deep sense of dread as the Audi's passenger door opened and someone got out, and began walking towards them. The person who got out of the Audi was revealed to be a man in his 40's, Jenny and Sandra couldn't fully tell what age he was, and he had a slender build with short pale brown hair, hazel eyes and he was wearing black-framed glasses. He was also wearing a long white lab coat that trailed down to the back of his knees.

It was Dr Martin Keagan in the flesh.

"Well. Look who it is." Keagan smiled the same way Riley did. He wiped the lenses of his glasses on his lab coat before finishing, "The android, the traitors, and the nerdy teens. You have no idea how hard it's been to finally corner you like this. Now I finally have you all right where I want you."

Xianni hid behind Maurice. She was too scared of Keagan because of the things he'd done to her before she escaped.

They were cornered. Outnumbered and outgunned.

What were they going to do now?