96TH ROSE || Kurt Nathaniel Gatcheco

- KURT NATHANIEL GATCHECO -

"You have to do what it takes to become superior and successful, Nathaniel. Ace all your subjects, be superior in your school and be superior towards our business rivals. Never entertain friends for they will betray and use you in no time. Never accept defeat, Nathaniel. Do not put our name to shame."

My father has big expectations on me to the fact that I am the oldest and I am the successor of the Cielo Airlines, one of the biggest airlines in Manila. As the successor of the 3rd generation of Cielo Airlines, I have to do what he wants me to do with no hesitations.

My father is an authoritarian in the family. What he wants you to do, you have to do it even if it's against your will. That's me, my situation.

Having an IQ of 180 doesn't mean I can please my father in a snap just because I am gifted with an intelligent mind. He wants to see me earning the company. So, in order to win his trust and the company, I have to do everything to please him.

"Nathaniel, wanna come with us in the cafeteria? May bagong menu silang hinahain doon. It's a Greek menu and I bet you gonna love it," nakangiting paanyaya sa akin ni Arsean. Nasa tabi naman n'ya si Erickson, ang aming PIO.

I want to. I wanna eat with them. I want to listen to their jokes and stories. I want to mingle with them. I wanna tease them and I want them to tease me back. It's not easy to eat alone. You need a companion.

But I can't. "No, thank you. I have so many things to do."

Arsean made a face. "Give it a rest, pres. Hindi naman palagi ka nalang nagmumukmok dito sa opisina at laging kaharap 'yang mga folders. Mag-lunch ka muna kasama kami."

I smiled a little. I want to but I can't. "I have a business meeting so I have to finish this all before I go to Denmark."

"Hay naku," Arsean tsked. "O, basta sumunod ka nalang sa cafeteria kung nagbago na ang isip mo ah?"

I nodded. "Sure."

Arsean made a playful salute before he took a step out of the office.

I sighed and looked at the folder that I'm holding. I know I can defy my father and do what I want to do in my life but... I just can't. Call me a coward but I am just afraid to defy my own father and as the President of the Supreme Student Government, I must be a model for my schoolmates and I must not break the laws of the elite... which I bet it's too impossible to do anyway.

I am in the middle of accepting and rejecting suggestions when I heard the door creaked open.

I huffed. "I told you Arsean, I can't eat it with you in the cafeteria. I'm busy."