Chapter 13- A Dark Path

George and Alyssa, both twelve, were sitting at the pier and watched the sun set on an orange horizon.

"Alyssa, I have a gift for you!"

George pulled a small squared box from his pocket and handed it to Alyssa. She unwrapped it to find a colorful bracelet inside. With delightful eyes, she slid it over her wrist and pulled George in for a hug.

"Thank you so much George! I love it! You really are my best friend!"

"You're my best friend too Alyssa. I love you."

He wrapped his arms around as they held on to the embrace. However, they did not hear the sound of approaching heels that were making their way to them.

"Oh, how adorable is that?" A female voice called out behind them.

They turned to look to see who had spoken, just to find a young woman in a nurse outfit. She wore steel claws, holding something that looked like a bullwhip.

They didn't know this woman, but something felt wrong about her. She had an extremely cold aura.

"Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm nothing more than a mere observer." She said sarcastically and took several steps closer.

 She tightened her fist around her whip and squinted her eyes. The pair, alarmed, distanced themselves from her.

 "Alyssa.. run. I'll try to distract her."

"But-"

"Just do it!"

 The girl grimaced but did as he told her and ran away from the scenario.

"Oh? Trying to play the big hero, I see." The nurse wore a cruel smirk on her face.

"What do you want from us?"

"I was just observing your wonderful friendship."

Slowly and cautiously, the boy took a few steps back, maintaining eye contact with strange nurse. She chuckled and pulled something that looked like a rope from her side bag.

This alarmed George and he was ready to make a run for but the nurse had already raised her whip and slashed it on the boy's legs, causing him to fall and groan in pain. She proceeded to drag him to a nearby tree and tied the boy against it.

"Why are you doing this???"

"I just want to test your so called 'friendship' with the girl. If she really is your best friend then she would come back to see if you're safe, right?"

"What? Wh-why would you do this??"

"For the name of fun, you brat." She hissed.

She raised her arm and whipped him several times more.

"Let's make sure you look messed up enough to make her worry, in case she even cares." She chuckled.

"You're sick!"

He received another whip from her.

"You're just scared she will leave you to die. Afraid she doesn't care. Afraid she is only using you to be given gifts."

"You don't know her! Plus, I'd rather die than to have her get hurt!"

"That is so sweet... it's almost disgusting." She gritted her teeth angrily.

To his surprise, Alyssa did appear several moments later.

"... You! What have you done to him!" Tears filled her eyes.

"Alyssa! Why did you come back??!! Leave!"

"I was worried about you..."

The boy shouted at the girl to leave but she refused, making the nurse only burst out in laughter.

 "Looks she really does care about you, after all... At least you can die together now." She proceeded to whip the girl to, making her whine in pain until she could no longer defend herself.

"No, please, leave her alone!"

The nurse tied her to a tree beside George and grinned at them sadistically.

"Any last words you want to say to each other?"

 "George... I just want you to know that even though we'll die, you'll always be my best friend. My heart will always belong to you."

"Dammit, Alyssa, don't say stuff like that, we can still survive this!" Both of their voices were cracking. The girl only shook her head.

"At least... we will always be together."

The nurse clapped her hands.

"Beautiful. A beautiful friendship you have there." She applauded them but her words were clearly saying the opposite. She looked like she had just eaten something rotten and the disgust in her eyes was too obvious.

Her steel claws reached out to Alyssa and bore themselves into her chest, making her scream in an agonizing pain. The young woman went deeper until she could feel the heart and grabbed it in her hand. She then pulled it out from Alyssa's chest, killing her in the process.

"NO!!!! What have you done?!!" George yelled in utter horror. The young woman only held out the heart to his face.

"Here's her heart. Didn't she say it will always belong to you?"

"How could you! You BITCH!!!!"

"Who? Me or her?" A cruel smile curved on her lips.

"Why... Why are you doing this??? What have we done to deserve this!!"

"This is just for amusement, sweety, nothing personal."

"WHY??? Why are you ruining other people's life's for your own entertainment??!! Just because you don't have anyone in you life doesn't give you the right to torture us like this!!!" He yelled from the top of his lungs.

"SHUT UP!! You don't know anything!!"

 Anger flushed through her face and she forced the heart down his throat. He struggled, trying to breathe and not swallow it at the same time, so the woman only squeezed the heart, causing to to excrete blood, suffocating the boy some more until several moments later, he choked to death.

 She glared at the the dead bodies a little longer before turning away. She never meant to become a serial killer but seeing how so many people had someone special in their lives just pissed her off. Why did everyone else deserve to be happy when she had to be alone? All these years, spending alone in a hospital bed with no one comforting her while her life was slowly chipping away.

Mostly the doctors and nurses came to see her, only to do their jobs and not even her parents visited her that often. How useless they were. All talk about money, but in the end they just left her alone in that dark patient room.

It was a complete waste of time staying there, only prolonging her expected death. If she was going to die anyways, then she could at least enjoy herself in the outside world before her body would crumble away with the pain.

She bend over to vomit out blood. It had gotten worse and she knew, even better than all the doctors, that she did not have much time left. She could feel it.

Running around in a nurse outfit did not help her blend in much but she did not have any other clothes left. She had killed the nurse that was taking care of her and swapped their outfits so it would be easier for to escape the hospital.

The disguise would not last long and they would realize she was missing. She had to hurry and find him before it was too late. He was close. She could sense him.