Chapter 1 ~ Where is He?

Hi, so this is only my second fanfiction ever, and I apologize in advance if it's not very good. Hopefully this is at least better than my first one. Anyway, thanks for reading, and let me know if you like it! 

 Chapter 1 ~ Moving In

Clary's P.O.V.

I was elated when Luke and my mother, Jocelyn, gave me permission to begin staying at the Institute so it would be a bit easier for me to complete my shadowhunter training. Most shadowhunters began training at a very early age, and since my mother concealed everything about the shadowhunter world from me until recently, I was very far behind everyone else my age. 

I quickly texted Isabelle (we'd become very close) and my boyfriend, Jace. Izzy replied instantly. 

Yay! I'll start preparing your room. You can be right across the hall from me! 

-Izzy

Great, thanks! Drawing a portal now. See you soon! -Clary

I checked for a reply from Jace, but there was none. At least he'll get a surprise when I show up at the Institute! I shoved my phone in my pocket and drew myself a portal. I pictured the enormous library of the New York Institute, with row upon row of books, and the statue of the angel Raziel in the center, holding the Mortal Cup. 

I took one last look around my empty room. It had never been so clean before. After mentally slapping myself for stalling, I closed my eyes and stepped into portal. 

I emerged into the Institute's library, exactly where I wanted to be. Maryse and Isabelle were waiting to greet me. 

"Isabelle, why don't you show Clary to her room? Her training can begin in the morning," Maryse said, after all the greetings were finished. 

Izzy just nodded and motioned me to follow her. We walked out into the lobby, and then she started jumping up and screaming. 

"I can't believe you're going to be staying here now! We get to train together! This is so exciting!" 

I smiled and jumped with her, and after a couple minutes, we headed up the stairs. When we got to my room, I sat my suitcases down next to the bed. Isabelle turned and pointed at a heavy wooden door across the hall. 

"That's my room," she explained, "You can just come on over if you need something. But, I'd advise you to always knock before you enter." 

I sighed. I didn't even want to think about what I could possibly see if I just walked into her room without knocking. Izzy turned around to leave, but I stopped her. 

"One quick question before you go," I said. "Where's Jace's room?"

She just laughed at first. From the look on her face, I guessed that she'd been waiting for me to ask that question since the moment I walked in. 

"Just down the hall and to the left. Second door on the right."

Izzy winked at me then, and resumed laughing. She was still laughing as she closed the door behind her. I looked at my bags on the floor, but I decided I could unpack later. I really just wanted to see Jace, and find out why he hadn't texted me back. 

I raced out the door and followed Izzy's directions. I knocked on Jace's door. No answer. So I knocked again, but for longer this time. Still no answer. I looked at my watch, it was only 10:00. He could still be training, or he could've gone demon hunting with Alec. I went back to my room and grabbed my art supplies, and then decided to wait for him in his room. 

I sat on his bed drawing him. I couldn't stop thinking about him. Jace was so beautiful, like a golden angel. I still couldn't believe that he'd picked me. He could have any girl he wanted, and he chose ME. 

Hours went by, and Jace still hadn't come back. I started getting worried. Could something have happened to him? I checked my watch for the millionth time. It was 1:00 in the morning. Why wasn't he back? I went back to my room to unpack the rest of my things, just to try and take my mind off of my missing golden boy. 

By the time I was finished unpacking, it was three a.m. I hadn't heard any footsteps, but I figured Jace had to be back by now. I tiptoed to his room, and peeked inside. I let out a frustrated sigh. He still wasn't back! I tried to keep drawing, but I was exhausted. I kept yawning, and almost slipping off the bed. 

5 o'clock rolled around. There was a half hour left before everyone was supposed to be up to start training. I went back to my room to take a shower and put on my clothes for the day. Then I went back to Jace's room. Light peeked out from under the doorway. I knew I'd turned the light off when I left. 

The opened with a creak, and there was Jace. He was beautiful as ever. His golden hair was a messy tangle on top of his head, and he looked tired. Suddenly he turned and went into the bathroom. He must not have seen me. 

I heard the water turn on, he must be taking a shower to get ready for training as well. It was only 5:20, but I heard footsteps in the hallway. Since Jace hadn't seen me yet, I decided to ask him about where he was later, and I would just talk to Izzy about it now.