Waiting.

I sat there for two hours, gently rubbing the carving with the tip of my finger. Betty would come back every once in a while to ask if I wanted more tea. I would not knowingly say yes and look out the filthy window. The street now looked empty. All the important people took shelter in the towering buildings and less significant people sat in the corner shops or their own homes waiting for something decent to come along.

I looked down at the tea that was placed in front of me. I closed my eyes realizing that you weren't coming to me; not today. I slid out of the booth, abandoning the fresh tea, and payed at the counter. I stepped outside into the drizzle letting my tears hit the pavement along with the rain drops. What was happening?

'Should I walk to his place? Would that be weird? Is he tired of me? Maybe I'll just check? Or should I just return home? Maybe he'll call in a bit. Do you think he's in the hospital? Jail maybe? Did his mom need help from him, so he left his things at home? Maybe I should call his mom and see if she was aware if where he was.'

My mind paced every possibility and then settled on calling your mom. So, I dialled her number and put the phone to my thawed out ear.

"Hello Ella. What can I do for ya?"

"Um, hello Ms. Thomas. I just wanted to know if you knew where your son, Evan, was?"

"I'm sorry dear, I haven't heard from him in a week. He usually doesn't talk to me much."

"Okay, thank you Ms-"

She hung up in me. Always a pleasure talking to you too, Ms. Thomas.

Maybe I should just check on him. He would so the same for me.

I walked down the street, around the corner, around a separate corner, past the adult store, and up to your place and walked through the doorway.

You lived room 16B and kept a spare key under the red rock in the planter on the windowsill, just across from your room.

I made it to the second floor and found the key. So there I stood, in front of your door, a golden key placed in my hand, and hope that I would find you in there.