Chapter 3

The school was always the same. Beaten down walls, graffiti-filled bathrooms, the smell of textbooks heavy in the air. Half his class was missing, but nobody questioned why. The teacher didn't do roll call.

As the teacher taught the same power point, the same material they learned every day, the same warnings, Percy stared out that window and longed for that lake, for once last chance to see it. He'd come back, but there was always a fear that he wouldn't. Sometimes people just disappeared.

At least a mile away, Percy could still hear those waves hitting the beach, still hear the mist roll in. He could still hear the old birds cry, still hear the flutter of wings and their feathers as they fell, fell and disappeared beneath the waves.

That lake haunted him.

He looked around, looked around at the ones that remained. One boy sat beside him, one boy that everyone somehow knew the name of. Leo Valdez. His hands were covered in grease, his eyes alight with fire. The steel mills have been closed since before they were born.

Percy had watched Leo before, wondered about this odd boy. Nobody else seemed to. They noticed the grease on his hands. They ignored it. They noticed the spark in his eyes, noticed the hint of insanity. Nobody spoke of it.

The school was always the same. Beaten down walls, graffiti-filled bathrooms, the smell of textbooks heavy in the air. Half his class was missing, but nobody questioned why. The teacher didn't do roll call.