Chapter 17

In the summer, lights blink from the forest. Lock your doors. Those aren't fireflies. You don't want to know what they are.

But curiosity always got the better of Percy.

The sidewalks don't start or end right. There are cracks in them, but nothing grows. Sometimes, there are ants. Ants that crawl over shoes, over socks, that swarm, black and fuzzy, when you kick their hills. The ants in the forests are more red. They swarm too, but you don't have to kick the ant hills. You just have to stay still long enough.

As he walked the forest, the sun barely broke through the treetops. He refused to go out at night, but he was swallowed up by the darkness.

The berries he found in the woods have a strange metallic taste. Their juices stain his mouth red. He keeps eating them anyway. Maybe if he hadn't stopped for a break he never would have gotten addicted.

The forest is deep, so very deep. He walked on, but all he finds is a roofless hut filled with shotgun shells. There are claw marks on the wall, on the ground. He scuffed at them with his shoe. Maybe he'd go find more berries.

That night he couldn't help but yearn for the berries some more. He forgot about the rule carved deep into his soul. He's out late that night, gathering berries. At exactly two am, something knocks him out. He wakes up in his bed the following morning. Don't think about it. Go to sleep.

He tries staying up past two am the following night, only to be knocked out again. Go to sleep. go to sleep. go to sleep.

Just go to sleep.