Chapter twenty

"Get them out."

   "Maybe if I . . ."

   "Get them out."

   "Maybe if I . . ."

   Alby's Death morphed back in forth. One time he sacrificed himself for the Gladers. Another time the Glade was attacked and he was taken by a Griever.

   Both were horrible.

   And they didn't stop.

   Over and over they went back in forth.

   Dream Thomas covered his ears, screaming to himself.

   "Wake up!" He yelled. "Wake up! Wake—"

~~~

"—up, Tommy!"

   Thomas shot up, glancing around to see if Alby was there, dying. When he realized he was still in bed, his breathing slowed.

   "Sorry, Tommy," Newt said, reaching an arm out. "Didn't mean to scare you."

   "Don't worry about it," Thomas said, trying to get his heart rate under control. "What are you doing here?"

  Newt broke out in a grin. "Schools opening today for the voting. We've gotta be there for Alby."

   "Right," Thomas remembered, pushing his nightmare to the back of his mind. "When does it start?"

"In an hour," his friend replied.

~~~

Forty five minutes later, the two were sat with Minho and Alby, waiting for the results. Alby was mumbling to himself with his head in his hands while Newt whispered encouragements.

"What's his deal?" Minho asked, gesturing to Alby.

Thomas rolled his eyes. "Gee, I dunno. Maybe he's nervous or something?"

Minho scoffed. "He shouldn't be. He's going to win. Obviously."

"Maybe you should tell him that."

"Alby!" Minho said, leaning across Thomas and Newt to whack him on the leg. "Quit your whining. It'll be fine. You're gonna win."

"As a matter of fact, Minho," Newt said, pushing him away. "Alby was just saying he hopes he can be as good as Nick was."

"Oh," Minho said, his smile falling. "My bad."

Thomas snickered.

"Dude, that's not funny," Minho whispered. "Do you even know who Nick was?"

Thomas pointed at his own chest. "Homeschooled. Got here a few weeks ago. No, I don't know."

Minho shook his head. "Thomas, he was the student president at the beginning of the year. He was the best we've ever had. Probably even the best Glader."

"What happened to him?"

   Minho looked down and just shook his head.