Chapter forty five

Studying with Brenda went well. At least, as well as it could've gone considering that Thomas was still slightly traumatized. He never would've stayed to listen to the crank if he knew that it was Lawrence.

   He was one of the worst Cranks Thomas could remember. He was glad they made it out alive.

   But studying with Brenda went well.

   She was really easy to work with because of her homeschool vibe. It was something only other homeschoolers would be able to pick up on. And because of that, they were able to get a lot of work done in a short amount of time. It was nice.

   Unfortunately, they had to stop after a few hours because people started arriving to Brenda's party. Within minutes the large apartment was packed and Thomas could barely move. He found Brenda in the crowd and told her he was going to finish his homework until Newt and the others arrived.

   Thomas breathed a sigh of relief when he closed the door. Finally, he was alone.

   So, of course, someone knocked on the door a moment later.

   "Brenda's not in here," Thomas said, hoping whoever it was would just leave him alone.

   "Wasn't looking for Brenda," said a familiar British voice.

   Thomas turned around to see Newt's blonde head peaking in through the door. He grinned.

   "Oh," Thomas said, smiling when he realized it was his friend and not some annoying party guest. "Hey, Newt. Did Brenda tell you I was in here."

  Newt shook his head, walking over to where Thomas was sitting. "Nope. I just knew you'd be here."

   "Really?" Thomas asked as he started putting away his homework. "How?'

   "Well," Newt started, taking a sip of his drink he'd been holding. "There's a party going on. Obviously you'd be in the one room that doesn't have any people."

    "Shut up," Thomas said, trying and failing to shove the blonde over. "I was just finishing my homework while I waited for you and Minho to show up."

   "Yeah. And Teresa?"

   "I guess," Thomas said. "I'm just worried since, you know, it's a party and there's alcohol and . . . yeah."

   Newt shrugged. "It'll be fine. Just avoid her and Brenda and I doubt you'll end up kissing 'em."

   Thomas highly doubted that. If it was in his dreams, it was bound to happen one way or another. Avoiding them wouldn't stop it.

   "C'mon, Tommy," Newt said, offering his free hand to help Thomas up. "Don't worry about it. We're at a party. Just come have fun."

~~~

Thomas didn't have fun.

   Newt had abandoned him a few minutes later to talk to some other friends so he was left sitting on Brenda's small couch. He would've been fine but a couple next to him started making out.

He wanted to retch.

He also hoped Teresa and Brenda were sober enough to leave him alone.