Chapter 10

My eyes cast down on the concrete floors, I stand in the hallway across from Levi. He stares with a bored expression at Eren in the barred stall next to me, Erwin sits in a wooden chair next to him.

They're exchanging words with Eren, but I don't bother to make out any of what's being said. All I know, is that Levi's not believing a word he's saying.

I want to step forward and defend him, I may not know everything about Eren and his past, but I have known him for the past three years and that must qualify me to vouch for him.

The problem is, if I were to say anything Levi would be furious, even angrier than he is now.

"Levi, please!" I beg as Levi roughly grabs my arm, "You have to understand!"

He grabs both my shoulders tightly, "There's nothing to understand! You were told not to fight and you did anyway! You could have died, Elizabeth!"

I fight back the urge to cry. Rarely does Levi get angry with me, let alone shout, and when he does, it's terrifying.

My head is pounding and my words are caught in my throat. What can I say? "Sorry I yelled at an officer and risked my life"? That would go over well...

"Do you have anything to say?" He shouts again. Armin and Mikasa are standing a bit away, watching everything that's happening. Why don't they go with Eren? Erwin and some others had taken him back to the headquarters.

"No." I mumble quietly, "I don't regret what I did."

I cautiously look up at Levi's face; his dull eyes seem red with rage and his eyebrows are furiously knitted together as he continues to hold me roughly.

"You stupid brat!" I shrink back. What I would give to be able to put myself somewhere else. "I don't give a shit! You were given orders to stay out of it for a reason...!"

"I'm fine, aren't I?" I shout back, interrupting him. "You're yelling at me for trying to protect humanity! You'd do the same damn thing and you know it!"

He roughly lets me go, shoving me away from him. "You could've died." He repeats a bit quieter, "I don't know what I would've done if that happened."

I try to take a step closer to Levi, but he starts shouting again, "You only think about yourself! You never think about the outcomes of your actions! You don't give a shit how they'll affect other people!"

"That's not true!" I argue, "I knew I could die, but it didn't matter because I was given the chance to help fight for what I believe is important! You have no right to say that to me!"

Levi relaxes a bit, letting a small moment of silence pass before speaking again. "I am very disappointed in you."

I stare at him. What can I say to that? I feel a sharp pain in my chest like someone twisted my lungs together.

Levi silently walks away and rejoins his squad, they take off into Trost and rejoin the rest of the Survey Corps in ridding the city of the trapped titans.

Once they are out of sight, I fall to my knees. I bury my face in my hands and start to cry, I cry loudly and soak my hands and sleeves in tears.

I'm very disappointed in you. Two days later, his words still ring through my head, they repeat over and over in a never-ending loop and I fight the urge to cry again.

I feel a hand gently touch my shoulder and I look up at Erwin, giving me a sad smile. I told him what happened once we returned to HQ, what Levi said, what I said.