Chapter 11

"Here," I manage to give Eren a smile when I hand him a damp rag, "I'm sorry about..." I gesture to the scrapes and bruises on his face, "That."

Eren returns the small smile, grimacing when he puts the cold rag to his cheek.

"I'm sorry about that, too." Erwin says, walking up behind me. I take a seat on the couch next to Eren.

Erwin kneels in front of him, "But you did get your point across to the commander-in-chief and other VIPs, anyway."

"Right..." Eren nods, agreeing with him.

"And that gave us the perfect chance to play the card we had up our sleeve." Erwin explains, "Believe me, it was worth the pain. You have my respect." He holds out his hand to Eren, "I look forward to working with you."

Eren's eyes light up as he shakes Erwin's hand, "Sir. Thank you for having me."

Levi plops down on the other side of Eren, resting his arm on the back of the couch. "Tell me, Eren."

"Yes sir?" Eren asks nervously, leaning away from Levi a bit.

"Do you resent me?"

"No, sir." Eren seems taken aback by Levi's question, "I know you needed to put on a show."

He nods, "Very well."

"You should've laid off him a bit," Hange says, "He broke a tooth!" She holds out the bloody tooth on a towel in her hand.

I scrunch up my nose, "Hange, that's disgusting. I can't believe you actually went out there and picked it up."

"I say it beats being dissected any day." Levi says, glancing in the opposite direction.

"This is valuable evidence, Alice. I couldn't just leave it there!" Hange attempts to defend herself.

"Evidence of what? That Levi took out a week of anger on Eren's face?"

She rolls her eyes, "Anyway, Eren, show me your mouth."

Eren reluctantly opens his mouth, letting Hange look inside.

She frowns, "How is it already growing back?"

"Could he have the regeneration abilities of a titan?" Erwin asks, almost more of a statement than a question.

I shrug, "That would explain how his arm and leg grew back. At least, that's what Armin told me."

Hange smirks, "Oh really? Who's Armin?"

I ignore her question, "Do you think so too, Eren?"

He thinks for a moment, "It could be possible..."

"I'll have to run some tests!" Hange exclaims, cutting off Eren.

Erwin takes a stack of papers from the large desk, "We can figure it out later, but for now we should be heading back to HQ. Levi?"

Levi looks up at Erwin.

"Will Alice be joining your squad?"

I look at Levi with pleading eyes.

"She graduated top of the class..." Eren says quietly. In any other occasion Levi would be upset when someone he barely knew butted in to our conversation, but he doesn't seem to mind.

Levi sighs, "Fine."

. . .

We arrive at a large building; more specifically, one of the Survey Corps' many sub-bases. This one, though, hasn't been used in years.