The Sequoian Heir

★★★
Three out of five stars because of the originality for the most part of the book.

Author: Rachellipson01

Genre: Fantasy

Review:

The idea of a “lost princess” is an established cliché. Apart from that, the book's plot is original. It's fun and humorous.

So far, the author's mentioned at least eight settings and the readers have only seen part of three. This can either be used to make the readers curious if the author is planning a sequel, or the author could show us later in the story (when I say show, I mean in the figurative sense as in show when you write).

Mia's unhappiness about leaving everyone and everything she's ever known behind and never seeing them again, is very short-lived. Even though there are a lot of things to distract her, this is unrealistic.

Mia constantly has important things to worry about, but averts her worry to other irrelevant things. She is overly dramatic and has a huge imagination. Mostly, I see her as clueless (for example everyone knows about the custom where princes/gentlemen kiss maidens' hands!). Mia is very childish and I know that a few readers might find her extremely annoying and might stop reading.

Mia keeps questioning, “Why didn't my parents tell me?” This confuses and annoys me. Zac already said that the King and Queen of Sequoi (Mia's real parents) may have been taken hostage by Pablo. So, why does Mia think that her adoptive human parents would know anything about her being a lost princess from a magical world?

Grammar en punctuation could be improved.

The language in the book is a lot more informal than I expected it to be.

The book is written in first person, yet the author writes the other characters' thoughts as well. I would like to suggest that the author keeps in mind that she is writing from Mia's perspective and Mia can't possibly know what the others are thinking.

I liked that even though the author chose to write about a cliché, she keeps it original. Even the title is original!