ONE

Anya stares out the train window watching the trees slowly becoming blurs of color. A sign said "Welcome to Leningrad!" She knew that this place has to be the one. It is the one. She will find her parents here. She has been all over Europe searching for her family. Hoping that they will be there to greet her with open arms. Each time she's been disappointed. But each place has given her a lead to another location. It's been an endless cycle of going to a location, finding hardly anything, and then getting a lead to a new place. She had no doubt in her mind that her family was out there and that she was going to find them. No matter how long it takes. She grabs her necklace that has been around her neck for as long as she could remember. Every time she got a new location she would grasp her necklace hoping for the best. She looked down at her necklace and read the "Together in Paris" hoping that she will one day find out what that means. The train announcer finally announces that they have arrived at the Leningrad station. She immediately grabs her luggage and heads out to the standing area. She bounces on her heels in anticipation waiting for the train to the stop. The breaks began to screech and the train starts to slow. She sees the station through the window all the numerous people walking around. She gets off the train and goes to the nearest bench to recollect herself. She looks for the exit to the main road. She finds a sign that tells her where to go and follows it. She reaches the main road and calls a cab to her. She gets in , tells the driver her address, and he starts driving. Anya looks outside the window looking at the sunset through each of the buildings she passes.
"This is it Anya, this is the one."
Anya's heart was overflowing with hope. She could feel deep inside her that this was the place. The car pulled up in front of an the hotel. There were only a few lights on in the whole place. Anya pays the driver, grabs her bag and gets out. She walks inside and sees the lobby had a maroon colored carpet, modern bright lights, and a front desk made of marble. The lady at the front desk was a pretty blonde woman in a navy blue hotel uniform. Her name tag said "Lauren."
"Welcome to Victory Suites! Are you checking in?"
"Yes. The name of the room is under Anya."
She types on her computer for a bit and opens a drawer next to her desk. "Okay, your room is 357." She hands her a maroon room key. Anya gives her a polite smile. "Breakfast starts at 9am and ends at 11:00, there's a pool, game room, and workout room."
"Thank you, um, are they're any cafe's shops near here?"
"Yes. Ruby's, just down the road. It will probably take five minutes to walk."
"Okay thank you!" Anya smiles at her again and goes to the elevator.
She gets to the third floor and goes into her room. The room has all white walls, the bed is perfectly made, and the room smells like clean and fresh sheets. The large window has white blinds that are opened wide. The window shows a beautiful view of the Leningrad skyline. Anya places her luggage on the floor. She opens them and takes out a fresh pair of clothes and brings her toiletry bag with her. She turns on the bathroom light and looks at herself in the mirror. Her eyes looked droopier than usual, her lips were chapped, and her cheeks were flushed. She hasn't looked like herself in months. This constant moving from place to place has caused her to forget to take care of herself. She washed her face, put on moisturizer, and put on some chapstick. She puts on a change of clothes and exits the bathroom. She looks out her window and stares out at the view. Her family is somewhere out here and they are waiting for her return. Her mind took a turn, what if they don't want to see her? What if they don't believe she's who she says she is? What if they forgot about her? She always tried to stop her mind from going down the negative route, but every once in a while, her desperation, her longing, and her fear cause her to think these things. She felt tears in her eyes and inhaled them back inside of her. She didn't have time to cry. She didn't have time to overthink. She closed the blinds and layer in her bed. She knows that tomorrow it begins. The cycle starts again tomorrow, but she knew deep down that there was something different about this place. She would find something or hopefully someone.