TWO

Anya clutches her backpack straps tightly to try to calm her nerves as she presses the lobby button on the elevator. Her reflection wobbling in the elevator doors. She is about to start the cycle again. Her heart rate increases from excitement, anxiety, and hope. She will be successful. She knows it. The elevator dings and she walks out into the lobby The lady from the front desk is there to greet her once again.
"Hi, excuse me again, which direction is the coffee shop again?"
"As you as you walk out the main door, take a left and just keep walking straight, you'll see it. It has a very large sign with an arrow."
"Thank you again!"
"Of course!" She responded.
Anya gives her a quick friendly smile and heads out the door. She took a left as directed and kept walking straight. Before she knew it, she arrived at Ruby's. The sign was made of a rustic wood in the shape of an arrow. The words Ruby's was written in pink lettering in cursive. The sign was in front of a tree pointed left. When you turn you see the coffee shop is hidden behind the tree. The place had a wide windows, so you look out onto the very quiet streets. Anya opened the door and heard a bell chime.
"Welcome to Ruby's! Sit anywhere you like! I'll help you in a bit okay!" A sweet older woman said. The coffee shop was pretty much empty except for a few people here and there. This was completely different from the last place she visited. There was no hustle or noise. It was calm, a bit too calm than what she was used to. Anya took a seat in one of the booths next to the window. She sits, sets down her bag, and opens the menu. The menu is very small because it consists of mainly coffee and teas. There were a few breakfast, lunch, and dinner options that peaked her interest. The older woman approached her booth. She was an average height, skinny, with blue eyes. She was wearing a green t-shirt, jeans, and an apron that was stained a bit with flour. Her name tag said "Lily".
"Good morning! What can I get started for you?" She said, pulling the pen from the bun on her head.
"I'll have green tea with lemon and honey and a bagel please."
"Any cream cheese with that?"
"Yes please." She quickly jots down her order and takes her menu.
"We'll have that right out for you." She gives her a quick smile and heads back into the kitchen. Anya pulls out her laptop and beging searching. She found that her grandmother was last seen in Leningrad a few days ago from seeing her Facebook status. She decided to do more geographical digging to try and find specifically where she went. The bell of the door rings and a man says "Good morning John! Good morning Lil!" He was wearing an off while button up with a plaid print with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows with a few buttons were missing. His pants were rough around the edges, the seam was starting to rip, they reached just above his ankles. He had on very worn-in boots that were starting to lose there color and the laces looked like they had been chewed on. His eyes were a rich almond brown and he had dimples on his chin whenever he smiled. His hair was short but the front swooped just in front of his brow. He was good looking but he seemed cocky to Anya and that was not her type. She noticed from how he talked to the workers at the shop, he must be a local. He sat down at a table a few feet away from Anya not noticing her at first. He began to look around the place and his eyes found Anya. He had never seen her before and knew she was new because only a few people come to this place and they're always there. She was a new face. He thought she was pretty too. Anya didn't notice him at first, for she was too busy researching until she felt eyes on her. She turned to look at the man, giving him a quick awkward smile.
"You're not from here are you?" He asked.
"Uh...why do you ask?"
"Because I know everyone who walks in here. And you I've never seen you before. I would've noticed you before."
"You're right. I'm not from here."
"So then where are you from?" He asked shifting his body towards her.
"I don't think I need to tell you my life story. I just met you like 5 seconds ago." Anya says hoping that he will stop talking to her.
"Well then I'll tell you mine. My name is Dmitry, I am from Petersburg, I live down the street from here, and I am single and ready to mingle." He says trying to amuse Anya. Anya gives him a dirty look and crosses her arms. "Okay...so no with the single jokes. I get it! Yeesh! You don't have to be so cold hearted."
Anya looks away and rolls her eyes.
"So can you tell me about yourself?"
"I told you I am not telling you my life story. I don't know you. For all I know you could be some serial killer-"
"Do I look like a serial killer to you?"
"I don't know?! What do serial killers look like?"
"Can you at least tell me your name?" There was a short pause.
"It's Anya."
"See that wasn't that hard! Very nice to meet you Anya!"
Anya rolled her eyes again and laughed at his stupidity and sarcasm.
"What do you do for work Anya?"
"I don't have a job."
"Then why do you have a laptop, most people who work have laptops."
"I'm just researching..."
"What?" He waits for a response, but Anya doesn't speak. "Researching what?"
Anya didn't know whether or not to tell this man she had just met. Anya's mouth opened but no sound came out.
"I can't tell you." She finally replied.
"Huh. You must be some kind of secret agent or something!"
Anya laughed at his horrible attempt. "You can keep guessing all you want you won't guess."
"Well, fine since you don't engage in small talk, I will tell you a bit about myself. My name is Dmitry, I am an only child, and I have no parents."
"You're am orphan?" She asked.
"Yeah." He said looking down at his empty coffee mug.
"Me too." His eyes met hers and he felt as if he had finally found someone who could relate to him. Who was like him. Dmitry finally realized in that moment he's not alone.