A World Divided; Chapter 2

"So explain what happened in ninety seconds," I told Steve firmly as I walked to Wanda's room. I wasn't about to slow down. "Rumlow?"

"Dead," Steve said as he tried to keep up with me. "Set off a bomb to kill him if he was caught. I didn't stop him in time. Wanda tried to move the blast, but the pressure was too much. It hit a building, leaving fifteen wounded and six dead." I swore under my breath. And Scott was just joking about this happening. "Language, Isabel."

"I don't have the time to apologize," I said rudely. Steve sped up in front of me and held me back. "Let me go, Rodgers."

"You need to calm down," Steve said quietly as several agents walked by. "What happened to that quiet, kind girl back when I taught you to dance?" I bent down and walked under his arm.

"That girl died in Sokovia along with her brother," I said as I walked away. "All I have left is my sister." Steve stayed quiet and didn't follow me as I kept going to Wanda's room. I knocked on the open door, and Wanda didn't welcome me in. Her eyes were fixed on the screen of her TV, replaying the events of her mission.

"You okay?" I said slowly as I sat down next to her on her bed. "I heard about the mission."

"It was fine," she said, her accent slightly raspy, as if she had tried to hold in a cry. "You obviously know what happened."

"Well, I want to hear it from you. Enlighten me," I said as I turned to face her. Wanda sighed and looked down at her hands.

"It was a basic mission," she said. "A biological weapon was being hidden, and we had to find it. I followed Steve. He was standing motionless by Rumlow, who released an atomic bomb. I lifted it before it reached Rodgers, but it was to strong, and I lost control. It hit a building." Wanda lowered her head in shame. "You know the rest."

"Beside you," I said.

"What?"

"Were there civilians beside you?"

"Yes," Wanda admitted. "Many."

"Then you actually saved lives," I explained, and Wanda tilted her head sideways. "If you left the bomb be, not only would you and Steve die, but the people around you as well. You lifted the blast to save everyone, but you couldn't." I pointed to the TV.

"Those people there are dickheads."

"Bless you," Wanda said. I ignored her and continued on.

"They weren't there, they don't know how it happened." I stayed quiet after I finished and let Wanda ponder over what I just said. The TV's sound increased.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria? And where was her sister, Isabel Stark, during this event?" The TV shut off, and I turned to see Steve leaning on her doorframe.

"It's still my fault," Wanda said.

"That's not true," Steve chastised gently, and Wanda turned to face him.

"Then turn the TV back on, because they're being very specific," Wanda countered. I rubbed my hand on my face. It was like everything I said had flushed away. I looked at Steve, hoping he could possibly make her feel better.

"Rumlow said 'Bucky'-" Steve started, but I missed the rest as I clutched my head in agony. Flashes and pictures covered my vision. It was like a memory, but stranger. I tried to accept as many as I could.

"Let's go home," a man with a metal arm said as he offered a nonmetal hand to me. The scene changed to a gala with dead bodies and blood everywhere, a gun being held by me at the last person alive in the room.