Chapter 1

Quick author's note. This is not my first story but I'm going to treat it as such. If you like the story please go ahead and tell me. I look at all sorts of feedback to make the story better for all of you. I hope that you do enjoy the story!

Dylan Garcia played by Chris McCroy
————————————————————————

"Lindsey was such a talented girl. I mean she was the captain of the cheer leading squad. She was like the best out of everyone. She will be missed by us all I'm sure of it." Jessica's voice echoed, reaching the corners of the large room in the church.

It seemed like it had been an eternity since I found out that Lindsey had ended her own life. Things started to go by much more slowly after that. It was like time itself revolved around her.
The news of her passing was one of great surprise. There was no signs of the pain she had been through. She had never spoken to me about anything that was bothering her. There was just nothing. I wasn't attentive enough, I should've asked. Thoughts bounced around my mind, whispers of blame repeating endlessly.

Nobody understood why Lindsey would take her own life. It really didn't make any sense. It just goes to show how well we really know our friends.

"T-thank you." Jessica stammered, ending her speech. She stepped off the small stage, her eyes were rimmed red from all the crying she had done in the past few days. Her dark hair was swept up into a bun. Her hands were trembling, fingers clasped behind her back as she stood, talking quietly to a friend. As much as she tried to look strong, I could see through her mask.

The service parted after awhile, leaving everyone to console one another. Me, well I stayed to myself, keeping more to the back of the church. I wasn't one to let people whisper sweet nothings into my ear as they held me close. It did nothing to stop the heartbreak I felt for my dead girlfriend. It felt uncanny, speaking of her in the past tense. She was truly gone.

There was no point in me staying there. I had already seen her body many times before and I didn't need a reason to start crying again.

My feet carried me out the front doors and into the hot heat of the July air. I pulled a cigarette out from my pocket and positioned it between my lips before lighting it.

"Dylan. You know smoking is bad for you." A voice rebuked me from behind.

I couldn't help but smirk a little at the comment, turning, only to come face to face with Jessica. "I know. I just might not care. Quite sad really." I replied, shrugging slightly.

Jessica shook her head and crossed her arms, leaning back against the wall beside the doors. It was silent for a few moments before she spoke up again. "Doesn't it bother you? Like how didn't we see her pain?" She spoke slowly, dragging the we in her sentence, as if testing to see if there was any blame in her words.

A puff of smoke parted my lips as I raised an eyebrow, shaking my head a little. "Of course I think about it. Hell, I was the last one she spoke to before she ended it. How do you think that makes me feel Jessica? I could have stopped her. I could have done something "

Her eyes widened for a brief moment, then closed. Her shoulder sagged as she leaned farther against the wall. Silence filled the air again

I turned away, taking a long drag of my cigarette. "Have a nice weekend Jessica," I  said dismissively, heading away from both her and the church.

I admit, I was crushed on the inside from Lindsey's death, but sooner or later I was going to have to get over it right? The same as every other person in this town. It was a harsh way to think, but it was true. There was nothing more for us to do. She was dead and she wasn't coming back anytime soon.

The memories left behind were the more complicated thing I had to deal with. The pictures, and the memories. I didn't want to let go of what we had, but holding onto it only hurt me more. People say all it takes is a little time but I'm not so sure.

I climbed onto the back of my motorcycle, flicking away my cigarette butt. Time wasn't what I wanted but maybe a change of scenery would do the trick. Something less gloomy was for sure.

With the wind in my face as I sped down the highway made me feel as if I was flying. There was never a better feeling then to be speeding down the interstate.

The rush and adrenaline made it impossible to think about anything clearly. That was exactly the point though. Forget about everything just for awhile. It was enough for now.

My heart didn't ache in the moments I was riding but as soon as I pulled into the little coffee shop at the corner of town it started up again. My rush was gone, long left behind even before I parked my bike.

With a sigh I pushed open the door and stepped inside the vintage-style coffee shop. I just needed a drink, a little more distraction.

"Good afternoon Dylan. How are you holding up?" Amelio, the older man who owned the shop, greeted. I smiled wearily and stepped up to the counter, sliding onto one of the stools. "I'm doing just fine, don't worry about me."

He scoffed, turning his back to me as he began to prepare coffee for me. "You sure are quite the boulder aren't you?" Amelio joked, a tinge of sadness in his voice.

I laughed, shaking my head a little. "You know it." I answered absently.

While Amelio made my usual, I took the chance to look around the little shop. It was entirely empty except for one brunette in the corner.

Her dark curls were rested on her shoulders, her attention focused on a laptop in front of her. At first glance everything seemed to be alright. Maybe just a girl studying.

My gaze stayed trained on her a few moments longer. She closed her laptop and quickly stood up, gathering her black jacket into her arms. Her amber eyes met mine and she paused for a moment before swiftly heading for the door.

Amelio cleared his throat, making me turn back to him. "Here's your coffee." He said, sliding me a white cup filled with the steamy liquid.

"What do you know about her?" I asked, taking a sip. If you wanted to know something about anyone you could always ask Amelio. Nothing seemed to miss his ears.

"Moved here recently. A few days at the most. Lives with just her father, no one else." He explained. "That's all I got."

"No name?" I questioned, tilting my head.

"Arabella Seto."

I smiled and nodded, taking another sip of the hot coffee. Everything seemed to be fine at the moment and that was all I could ask for right now.