14. The proposition

With the Bifrost sealed and Heimdall keeping watch, life in Asgard could return to normal. The people accepted Loki on the throne, at least for as long the Allfather was in Odinsleep. Loki took it upon himself to prove himself a good king and he made time for his subjects every day. Lady Sif continued to glare at him when they had dinner with the royal household, but she would get used to her new king soon enough.

Lady Loriana was still their guest. Recent events had shook everyone in the palace and the Alfheim party had kept to themselves mostly. But now things were returned to normal, a few weeks after all the upsetting events, the original purpose of their visit resurfaced.

A messenger brought Loki a letter from king Vonhir, wishing him good fortune as the new king of Asgard and giving him his blessing if Loki would still want to marry his youngest daughter. But the letter also stated that the Alfheim king would understand it if a better match was found for the new king. Loki showed the letter to his mother.

"I still think Lady Loriana is a good match for you," she said, giving him the letter back.

"I don't agree, mother," Loki said friendly, knowing his mother would say something like that.

"Are you still hung up on that handmaiden?" lady Frigga asked. "A king can't marry a commoner, you know that!"

"I do what I want," Loki chuckled, dodging his mother's hand when she wanted to slap him on his arm. "Seriously, mother, if I marry, I want it to be for love. And I love Mirilya."

Lady Frigga frowned, but she kept silent, studying her son's face. Loki just looked back, letting her come to her own conclusions.

"You really mean it, don't you? You love that girl," his mother said eventually.

Loki nodded. "I do. And you would too, if you got to know her."

"But what about the princess? It would humiliate her greatly if her handmaiden would be favoured over her!"

"Then we make sure she can save face," Loki said. "It's not my intention to wrong her, or her family."

"First, bring your girl over for tea this afternoon. If she is as lovely as you say she is, it's about time I get to know her."

Loki sat on his bed and watched Mirilya pace up and down his room. "Don't laugh at me!" she scolded him, but he just smirked.

"You're getting worked up over nothing, my love. It's just tea."

"With the Allmother!" she exclaimed. "Your mother! I don't even know what's worse."

"You've met Lady Frigga before," Loki said soothingly.

"Yes, but then I was just Lady Loriana's handmaiden. We didn't talk. And now she's invited me for tea and I am..." Mirilya stopped pacing and threw her hands up. "What am I?"

Loki got up from the bed and walked over to her, taking her in his arms. "You are the woman I love. Mother wants to get to know you, that is all. Just be yourself and I know she is going to love you."

Mirilya rested her forehead against his chest. "I don't have a fancy dress," she muttered. "I'm just a handmaiden."

"If you want, I can get the seamstress to make you some new ones, but I like your dresses. They're simple and elegant. Your eyes are what makes you shine, you don't need a fancy dress to look beautiful."

The young woman let out a deep sigh. "Alright, if you say so."

"You know, my word is the law, I'm the king nowadays. Umph!" Loki caught her hands after she punched him in his stomach and put them around his neck. "Is this how you treat your king?" he chuckled and leaned in to kiss her.