CHAPTER FOUR

James

Every minute that went by was more intense. The Operator was talking about how much he loved the community and how the society outside of it functioned. It seemed like what the news would play on tv. It's like James has heard this before. Then it hit him. This speech was taken off of a commercial they would play every morning outside of the community. This was a trap! James looked around as people started to realize. They started to panic and ran back towards their flats. Then out of the rehearsed, monotoned speech, the Operator yells.

"Stop! Everyone listen! This will save your lives!" Everyone in the surrounding area froze. James scanned the room, taking in everything at once. Seeing the faces of betrayal and horror of the people made him want to throw up.

"Some of you may have figured out that they are here for Zara. If one of you turns her in, they said they will spare all of your lives." Nobody in the area moved, it was like everyone froze out of terror.

The Operator then shut his eyes and began to cry letting out a very small whimper, "I'm sorry. I'm being controlled." He pulled out a gun and rested it against his temple. Some lady in the crowd screamed.

James could not believe what he was seeing. After everyone had worked so hard to create this place. James felt as if the moment would last forever, until the sound of a loud pop noise broke the silence. The Operator's lifeless body fell to the ground with a thud.

Just like that the crowd went nuts and James ran off, trying to get away from the stampede of people. He knew that the government would kill every last one of them. Nobody was going to give Zara up after they've worked so hard to conceal her. As he started to reach the back of the community, a large forced shoved him flying towards a tree.

His back slammed into it causing his stomach to give out. He quickly vomited all the food and alcohol he consumed that night. As he wiped his lip, he heard a boom so loud he thought his ears were going to explode. He looked up, his ears uncontrollably ringing, to see the gym on fire and the front houses destroyed.

He knew this was a war and that the government would stop at nothing to find this girl. They can't be this brutal to other people with different eye colors can they? Why was she so special? All James knew was to stay away from Zara or else he'll end up dead.