CHAPTER FIVE

Zara and Danker

Danker tugging at Zara's arm was what snapped her back to reality. Her whole body felt numb and everything sounded muffled. Danker turned her around and looked into her glossy eyes. It took a couple seconds for her to realize what had just happened.

    "Zara, are you okay?" Danker asked as he shook her arm. His voice sounded far away in Zara's ears. She nodded and felt Danker's warm breath as he exhaled and wrapped an arm around her. He started to guide her back through the woods when she stooped and turned back towards the community.

    "I have to go back." she said barely audible. Danker turned around and grabbed her shoulder.

    "You know you can't do that." He said in a more cold tone as he tightened his grip on Zara's shoulder. She shrugged his hand off and stared into his eyes. A cold wave of fear rushed over Danker as her glossy gray eyes became cold, dark eyes.

    "They will pay for destroying my family, John, my friends, my boyfriend, and my... my whole life." Her anger filled eyes soon was covered in a sheet of sadness. A single tear ran down her pale pink cheek. She looked down for a second to gather her emotions. She must be strong in a time like this. All Danker could do is stand and watch as she looked back up at his face.

    "After what all those innocent people have done for me... The government will pay for this. I promise you that." Her voice was lifeless. Her face was expressionless, filled with no emotion. Danker didn't even recognize who he was listening to anymore. Zara felt empty, like her last bit of hope had left her soul.

    "C'mon Zara, we need to leave right now." Danker said as shouts from the community were getting closer. Every bone in Zara's body wanted to go back to the community and help all the people who have been looking after her for many years. All of it was taken away in just one night.

She knew she couldn't go back. It wasn't safe for her. Going back just to get captured or killed wasn't going to help anyone. Zara resistantly turned back toward the woods and started to run as Danker followed behind her shortly. She chose to leave her family and home behind for the sake of her own safety. Maybe Aaron was right, no one should have risked their lives for her because she wouldn't even help them in return.

A/N

Hmmmmm. Are we liking dark Zara? As the book continues you get to see and understand her demons better so it's not like "oh she gon be evil now lol."