Chapter 3: Seasoned Alchemist

The alarm cried for attention as Kai swiftly slapped it to silence it. She woke up partially hoping the events the day before were a dream. Sadly, but quite reasonably impressed, she realised they were not.

“Level 4 huh? This sounds like a fun game. If only other people played too.” Kai mumbled to herself.

Sai rushed into her room. “Game? I want play game!”

The early morning headache for the first time made Kai laugh as fighting ghouls with her little brother came to mind. Kai glanced above Sai’s head to find “<Level 0> Small Child” which made her laugh even more. The confused Sai turned around and ran out of the room to bother their mother instead.

    Kai got dressed into her sweater and skirt for school after brushing her hair and teeth, she leaped down the stairs humming a song from a recent TV show. Ready for breakfast. “Mum I might be going out with friends later on, can you please pick up Sai today?” Kai said.

“Sure, I don’t have any shopping to do today.” Maya replied.

Kai planned ahead in case she got stuck in some kind of zone again so that Sai wouldn’t be left waiting alone again. “But mommy! Kai pick me up everyday! Why no today?” Sai squirmed.

“She’s busy sometimes Sai, let her have some time to herself.” Maya explained.

“Sorry Sai, just not today. I’ll buy you some shaved ice, okay?” Kai said as she patted Sai’s head.

“Fiiiiiine.”

    Upon her arrival at school Minori was stood by the front entrance to greet Kai. Riding on top of Minori’s head was “<Level 27> Artemis Clan Captain”. A painful shock hit Kai as she gazed upon her friend. Minori had been hiding something from her all this time.

“Minori… What does Artemis Clan Captain mean?” Kai said to her.

Minori’s eyes widened and dilated. She instantly stepped back to increase the distance.

“Kai is that really you? Are you being manipulated?” Minori said quivering.

Kai realised she had said something that triggered an unhealthy event. She apologised and said she’d explain at break time where they could be somewhere private. Minori nodded and upheld her distance until the time came.

    Kai explained her situation behind the school greenhouse where the gardening club operated. Minori looking puzzled still managed to grasp what Kai was saying and also explained her side of things.

“There are powers in this world, usually if a person has a power. They are born with it, it’s innate from birth. However, like you. There are some that the powers grow in and are released at later stages of their life.” Minori explained. “In my case, I was born with a power called ‘Hunt’. It gives me superior senses as well as enhanced fighting skills. If you come to my house later, I’ll tell you all about it if you want.”

Kai accepted her offer as she was endangered the day before and reluctant to encounter more dangers without any knowledge of the current conditions.

    “Hey Kai and Minori! I’ve been looking for you guys for ages! Let’s go get lunch!” Rima shouted.

Kai and Minori both nodded and followed Rima to the lunch hall.

“Do you think I should get spaghetti with meatballs? Or maybe the chicken korma?” Rima asked.

“I don’t know about you, I’ll just get my usual seafood ramen though.” Kai replied.