Awkward Confusion

Mel's POV

"One of my favorite clients can't make it to his wedding cake testing. All of us know how hard it is to get a reservation@ Cake La Moné. So I'm suggesting an opportunity to get away from work for three full hours if you come with me. There are some conditions: handholding and other cute things like couples do. There will be no kissing so no worries. If you can handle it with maturity meet me in the elevator. You have five minutes and the first person there will go with me." 

Jason's POV

I stepped into the elevator. Phew. I need to get back to my desk. Dealing with that client was horrible. She yelled at me. Such a pugnacious woman. It was not my fault that we were booked that date. The date doesn't matter, all that matters is the moment and the person you're marrying. I'm so glad this elevator is empty. It stopped on my floor. This is it. Only a few feet away from peace and quiet.

Boss walked in. I said good-day madam and walked out. She looked confused by that. Was madam too weird?

"What are you doing? We don't have time for silliness. Get in the elevator. She ordered me. She said so strictly. She struck me and I could move. I stood there. Not a word slipped my lips. I watched her get frustrated trying to keep the doors open.

"Come on." She motioned for me to get in. "Don't you want to go?"

"I guess." Still not knowing where I got in the elevator. Boss is quieter than that woman so I guess I could go on an adventure. I saw my coworker try to run to the elevator. Boss just pushed the button so the doors would close. She waved to the person but they just looked so sad. How could she do that? That's extremely rude. "That's very rude you know. I know you're my boss and everything but you can't hog the elevator." I didn't expect to stand up for them. I'm getting a little less passive-aggressive every day.

"You were the first one in the elevator so you get to go with me. I wouldn't have been your so-called rude if they had gotten here before you. Then I would have closed the elevator on you." The coldness swept from her lips to my mine. I felt a shiver down my throat.

"So where are we going exactly?"

"I'm sorry if this comes off harsh but where is your brain today? I don't understand. Is this your sad attempt to make a joke because I'm going to need you to stop. This is serious matters. Just press the button so we won't be standing here like idiots."

"Which one?"

"Nevermind, I'll do it myself. Scooch out of the way." She passed by me. Once again she brought me shivers. She pressed the first floor. That's the first floor. The same first floor where the exit is. We aren't leaving the building, are we? I didn't bring anything with me. I don't even think I have my phone. I checked my pockets frantically. I was interrupted by the boss laughing.

"You're really funny. Being more serious, I wanted to thank you and say sorry. I overstepped my boundaries as an employer. You've seen me in a compromising position and then helped me despite that. I was happy it was you in the elevator because I did want to repay you. I just didn't know how... I really like this outfit. It's so cute."

"Really no problem at all. I did think it would fit your perfect figure." Then silence hit. It was so thick, it suffocated me. The elevator opened. It was the greatest relief. She walked out abruptly. I followed her with an anxious soul. She walked with confidence. Her hips swayed back and forth. So elegantly her hair bounced. I was still dazed about where we were going, but she walked with so much assurance that I was willing to follow her blindly. We walked in silence. I think she forgot I was there.

She stopped as if she realized something. "My apologies, I forgot you were there. I tend to space out when walking. Also, you should know where we are going. I said it in the meeting. To be knowledgeable, you have to listen to all the details. Not just a few. The bigger picture doesn't give light to the significance of the precise details."

Darn. What meeting? I tried to wrap my mind out. I just keep drawing a blank. Why won't she just tell me? "It seemed to cross my mind. I'm begging you for just a little recap."

She sighed. "Sure...It's Cake La Mone."

Why are we going there? We usually don't go in person. This must be urgent. If this is urgent then why am I here?

"Here's the game plan. Hold my hand."

I didn't falter. She slipped her hand into mine. I felt flustered but the feeling was so right. Her hand seemed to fit in mine so perfectly. Like a puzzle found its missing piece.

"I wasn't done but I do like the promptness. You're a perfect hand holder, that probably sounds weird. I don't want you to ever feel uncomfortable. I will probably have to touch you. You tell me if I ever cross too much of a boundary. This is already crossing one. I won't make any contact with your lips, don't worry. Even if they want to see us kiss, I wouldn't be able to handle more unprofessionalism on my part. It's awkward already. You don't have to do this. At any point stop me. I mean it."

"I will do this. I want to do this. For the company." I said company but the word Mel wanted to slip my lips. My lips. She mentioned she wouldn't touch them. I was actually disappointed.

"I could not back of this challenge. I did improv in college. I can definitely act as a couple." I told her. She needed reassurance. Something I didn't need. I was 100% sure.

"I wanted to establish annoying little nicknames. I think to sound more real if we are annoying. How about num num?"

"I do look delicious."

She rolled her eyes.

"I can call you my cutie avocado toast," I suggested.

She stopped again. " What kind of name is that? It's so peculiar."

"It's original and avocado toast is good. You are just a hater." We finally reached the place. I noticed we were holding hands the whole way. I felt abnormal about it but my hand didn't let go. There was no turning back, this it.

"You ready to go inside?"

I nodded. She squeezed my hand harder. She took a deep breath then led me in.