One's true self

Jason's POV

        I came to the coffee shop prepared. I had watched many videos on breaking up before I came. As a peace offering I decided to buy her favorite drink, an iced latte.

         I waited for her to come and she would be here any minute now.I had never been more of something than I was now. This was a sure decision that I knew had to be done. Still, I was nervous as ever. I've never done this before. The whole "break-up" thing. This was a foreign topic to me and Emily could tell. She seemed to expect it though because she walked in with a broken look.

        Her hair was a mess. Her eyes were red. Her lips quivered, but she had a look of certainty. Her slouching gave me a presence of defeat. She normally had perfect posture and an unmatched confidence. It was one of the reasons I really liked her in the first place. She looked like the opposite person that I knew her to be. She looked like the person she was yesterday. The person I imagined my exposure to her true self.

        She grabbed the coffee in front of her and sipped a bit. "I was a different person the other day. I hope you can excuse me. I didn't mean to show you that side of me." She said knowing she was convincing no one.

"You know I can not do that. And you're wrong, that wasn't a side of you. That is you. The real you for that matter. A person I did not expect or enjoy. Actually it brought up emotions of disgust towards you. I don't know if I can look at you the same. You know the only grandpa I knew was black. The one who I cherish, love, and miss dearly. The one I told you many times about. He would be very disappointed in me if I was with someone who felt such a deep hatred for people like him. People that are only a few shades darker than you and I. They are people with feelings, you know?" I tried top explain to her. I hoped it would get through but it seemed that nothing was registering.

         She began to roll her eyes. "Yes, I know they have feelings, but their feelings don't matter. Also it's more than a few shades hun." Her confidence seeped through her teeth. It reminded me of Emily I once knew but coming from a much darker place. An immersion of dark cloud seemed to surround her, I suddenly felt colder by her presence.

"And this is why I am here. Your ignorance cannot be ignored anymore. I don't think we're right for each other anymore. I can't stand to be around you. I'm honestly sorry, but your spirit is making me sick to my stomach." I responded, feeling weaker and weaker the more I spent around her.

"You know what Jason, it's whatever. I was cheating on you anyway. Actually you're my side piece. I have another guy that i have been seeing for 3 years now. All the times I would go on trips, I was actually f**king him. He's much more masculine than you too. Grow some balls idiot. I only wanted you to see how a soft boy would feel. I've come to the conclusion that I like men more. So, have your little nigger whore." She knocked over everything on the table. She grabbed the cup and poured coffee all over the table. "HA, HA. Have your nigger clean this up for you. That's all they're good for anyway." She started to walk out and then said, "F**k niggers!" She showed everyone her middle fingers.

         She left and everyone in the shop gave me judging stares. I would have to given the circumstances. I was here next to the most racist person I ever met. It was weird being next to someone who probably had racism running through her veins. I was too focused on her racism I forgot the other words she spoke to me. It rolled back to me and it felt like a slap to the face. She's not only a horrible person... she cheated on me. I grabbed the cups and threw them in the trash in a rush.

          I didn't want to get out of somewhere quicker. I tried to stop myself from crying but the tears formed quicker than my will to stop them. I concealed them as I walked. I knocked into three people walking and I wasn't going to cover myself anymore. I was crossing the street when i almost broke down. What stopped me was the massive rain that plopped on me. I was soaking wet. I was pissed off so I kept walking. I didn't know where I walking but I knew I needed a drink. I was sad, wet ,and tired. I found the nearest bar after walking for 2+ miles. I stumbled in trying to find a place to sit. Music was playing softly like the people's voices overlapped it heavily.

         I sat at the nearest bar seat. A bartender came to me and asked me what I wanted, I asked for the strongest thing he had. I wasn't much of a drinker but that seemed to be the line they used in movies when they really were in a bad place. I was given a clear drink. I drank alcohol before but most of it was mixed with punch in a red solo cup. This was clear and made my nostrils flare. I put it near my lips and let the liquid flow down. It burned my throat on the way down. I didn't care enough about the feeling as long as it made me feel numb. The effects already started working so i kept drinking. I finished the drink and slammed it on the table. "I want shots."

         Five drinks came near me. I grabbed them one by one and swallowed them fast.

"Woah, dude. Slow down. You seem like a light-weight." The bartender told me.

"That's the point." I said as the last drop escaped from my drink. The room began to spin but luckily my emotions didn't. I grabbed a sum of money and put it near my drink. I got up from my chair and followed my sense of smell into the kitchen, where the memories on then get fuzzy.

I woke up to throw up on my shirt. Things from last night didn't seem to add up but I was unfamiliar with the place I was in. Before I could recollect anything, my head began to pound. Oh gosh, this was the famous hangover i never cared to endure. I barely got up because the headache was getting worse. A man came from a room and looked at me.

"Oh, you're awake. I'm glad you're alive. You had me a little worried." He said.

"Uhm, where am I?" I asked.

"You're in my apartment" He went to the kitchen and grabbed a drink and came back.  He extended his arm to give me the drink. "Have this. It's for the hangover. It'll be brutal since you're such a light-weight."

I grabbed the drink from him with caution. "So why am I here?"

"Well, you passed out in the kitchen. I found you after the bar closed on the floor. I tried to wake you. Many times actually. I even tried a slap to the face, but nothing. I was going to leave you in the streets after lock-up but my friend told me to be a nice person. I live right on top of the bar so I said might as well. You're heavier than you look though. I thought you would weigh like a feather since you're so skinny but I had to use some muscle. Anyway. I put you on my couch, then went to sleep, and now here we are."

"Thanks. For that and the drink. It helps already."

"No problem, I'm Nico by the way." He reached out his hand.

I shook hands with him. "I'm Jason. Thanks again for the hospitality."

"Don't thank me. It was my friend really. She has a kind heart and convinced me."

"Either way, I really appreciate it."

Suddenly there was a click from the door. "Speaking of my friend, that should be her. She wanted witness for herself my kind deed."

      Beautiful black luscious hair bounced as a lady walked through the door. Before I knew it, I had seen Mel's face. She closed the door. "I brought coffee for you and the 'man you helped' ." She took a step in the living room. "Jason? What are you doing here?"