Chapter Five - An Automatic Watering Can

"Hey guys, the Vytal festival tournament is tonight. Anyone excited to go?" Jaune asked nonchalantly. Team JNPR and Ruby were hanging out together. Weiss, Blake and Yang were studying in their dorm, but Ruby had finished early so she wanted someone to talk to.

 "Excited!? I stopped eating Ren's pancakes to keep fit for this thing!" Nora exclaimed. Pyrrha smiled weakly. 

 "Oh Nora." Ren grinned. "You had my pancakes yesterday." Nora blushed. 

 "That was a secret!" She complained playfully. Ruby laughed and pretended to cook like Ren. 

 "I'm Lie Ren, and my pancakes make women love me!" She mocked in a deep voice. Ren scowled in pretend anger. Pyrrha joined in the fun. 

 "Oh Ren, will you be my husband and make me pancakes?" She said in a high pitched valley girl voice. Nora and Jaune laughed.

 "Damn, Ren. All the ladies want you." Jaune said, leaning on his palm. Suddenly Ruby received a text.

Hey Friend! Meet me at the festival grounds? - Sent 12:45 PM

Ruby smiled to herself. "Alright guys, I gotta go meet up with someone. I'm heading to the festival, if you wanna tag along. See ya guys later!" She waved as she stood up. Pyrrha smirked.

 "Alright, see you later, Ruby. Ozpin wanted to meet with me in a few as well." Pyrrha said calmly. 

 Ruby didn't want to wait very long to meet with her pal, so she used her semblance to boost her ahead. She arrived at the gates shortly and scanned the area for the familiar red head. 

 "Ruby! Over here!" Penny waved, calling to her friend loudly. Ruby ran over to her and hugged her.

 "Hey Penny!" Penny smiled in return. 

"I want to show you something Ruby!" Penny said happily, and lifted her hand. in it was a magnet.

 "A... Magnet..." Ruby said skeptically. Penny just smiled and put the magnet to her forehead and let go. It didn't fall.

 "Wait what? Lemme see that!" Ruby said surprised. Penny giggled and handed her the magnet. Ruby tried to stick it to her forehead for a good give minutes before giving up. "H-How?"

"I have to tell you something, Ruby. I'm not... Normal." She said frowning. Ruby nodded, listening. "I was built." She said quietly. She glanced around, her eyes scanning for anyone who might be listening. 

 "Built? Penny, you can't be... Built. You're born, I don't know what your parents told you, but-" Ruby started to laugh, but Penny seemed serious. "Wait. Are you for real?" Ruby asked, nervous. Penny nodded. 

 "I'm built with wires and screws." She said excitedly. Rubys jaw dropped. "I can't show you, but it's true. I have a hard drive and everything." Penny giggled. "You seem shocked." 

 "Woah... That explains so much, actually." Ruby murmured. She glanced up from her thoughts to a patiently waiting Penny. "That's so cool!" She exclaimed. Penny smiled, relieved. 

 "So you don't think I'm odd?" She said expectantly. Ruby shook her head.

 "I think thats awesome! What can you do? Why were you created? What do you know about it?" Ruby rambled quickly. Penny froze, her face scared. Ruby stopped talking. "P-Penny?" 

 "I don't know why I was created..." Penny said. She looked like she was about to cry, but Ruby didn't know if she actually could. "I never questioned it. Maybe I was not supposed to. But..." Ruby hugged Penny again. 

 "It's okay, I still think you're amazing!" She said comfortingly. Penny smiled, her face slightly red. A tear dripped down her face. Ruby smiled grimly as she wiped it off her face. 

 "Thank you Ruby, it's nice to know I have someone to trust now." She smiled, and blinked away her tears. "I-" Penny froze, unsure if she wanted to finish her sentence. "Thank you." She smiled weakly. "Ceil has been waiting for me for a while though, so I should go." She said meekly. She waved goodbye to Ruby and ran off into the crowd. 

Hey, we finished studying over here. If you feel like playing a board game with us, come back to the dorm <3 - Sent 2:14 pm 

Ruby smiled at Weiss' text and made her way back to the dorms. She couldn't stop thinking about what Penny had said, but she wasn't at all scared. This was so cool! She had a robot for a friend, and who wouldn't want that? She was tempted to tell someone, but that wasn't her place to do so, so she kept her mouth closed the whole night as team RWBY played board games all night.