Chapter Seven - The Study of Roses

Weiss and Ruby were crowded around a single desk in the corner of the library, hunched over the many history books that Beacon had to offer.
"Ruby, focus!" Weiss sighed, dropping her pen on the table, defeated. Ruby stuck her tongue out at her, annoyed.
"But Weiss, this is boring!" She complained, dragging out the "ing" for emphasis.
"It's a miracle you didn't fail the last exam, you have to prepare for the next one."
"Ughhhh..." Ruby whined in response. Weiss only rolled her eyes, and picked her pen back up. "But can't we do something more fun? Is there a better way to learn?"
"Yes, not complaining and reading that paragraph." Glaring, Ruby gave up and stuffed her nose into the book. Weiss huffed, finally done with her own homework and tired. She glanced over at Ruby, whos eyes looked close to watering with how hard she was staring at the pages.
"Ruby, I told you to study, not burn the words into your head."
"Ah, ow, I wasn't even paying attention." Ruby mumbled, rubbing her eyes.
"Ruby, do you want to take a break?" Weiss knew that she had just told Ruby to study, but they haaad been studying for almost the whole evening.
"YES! ABSOLUTELY!" Ruby jumped out of her seat and started to climb onto the table until Weiss pinched the end of her cape.
"No no, no climbing," she warned. "Not again."
"Sorryyyyy." Ruby slumped into the chair again. "Can we eat then? We haven't eaten since Blake made mac n cheese for dinner!"
"Ruby, that was only an hour and a half ago."
"Food!" Weiss sighed.
"Fine, we ca-" Ruby bolted up and towards the door of the library, but before she could get far she tripped over one of the many carts full of books. "Ruby!" Weiss dashed over to Ruby, who was covered in textbooks. She hurried to move them off of her, but Ruby started laughing.
"What? Are... Are you okay?" Weiss asked. Ruby giggled in response.
"I'm fine, I'm fine!" She exclaimed, her face bright red. Weiss was still extremely confused, but she relaxed onto her knees and stopped moving books. Ruby noticed, and booped her on the nose.
"What was that for?" Weiss squeaked, her face glowing. Ruby only stuck out her tongue again, smiling. She tugged Weiss down onto the ground with her, surrounded by the stacks of books.
"Hey!" Weiss grumbled, adjusting her skirt so that nothing showed. "What has gotten into you!?" She questioned, her face still red.
"Nothings gotten into me, I'm just tired." She giggled, rolling around in the books.
"Really...?" Weiss sighed, staring at Ruby. " I'm amazed by how childish you can be sometimes." Ruby huffed, pouting at Weiss.
"Do you not love meee?" Ruby whined.
"Wha- No no no! Don't start giving me that!" Weiss panicked. Ruby started giggling again, and leaned over onto Weiss.
"I'm jooookinnng..." Ruby slurred, twirling her wrist in frantic circles to prove her point. Weiss blushed, laying her head on Ruby's.
"Good grief, don't joke like that you mope. C'mon, we should go upstairs to the dorm and sleep."
"But thats too much walking!" Ruby squeaked. "Right here just fine." She yawned, patting the pile of books.
"We're going to get kicked out."
"We'll be fineee." Weiss sighed.
"Alright, if you say so." She said, rolling her eyes. When Euby didn't respond she looked down to see her snoring peacefully on her shoulder. "Can't you sleep anywhere else other than on top of me?"
Weiss sat peacefully for a while, enjoying the calm atmosphere of the library. Their corner was a major mess, but she would clean that up later if she could slip away from Ruby. Instead, she picked up one of the books surrounding her and started reading.

"Nnngh..." Ruby grumbled, finding herself in a pile of books. She sat up, squinting at the faint silhouette of Weiss' back. "Weiss?" The silhouette turned around.
"Oh, good evening." She said, kneeling down next to Ruby. "It's 2 AM currently. Hope you slept well?" She smiled.
"2? When did I fall asleep?"
"Oh not that long ago, I only just finished cleaning up. I wasn't able to get the books you were laying on though, of course." Ruby looked down, and scrambled to get off the books.
"Sorry, I'll get these."
"No worries. We should really go though, the lights were all turned off mid nap, I'm afraid the doors are locked." Weiss mused, standing up and dusting off her knees. Ruby followed suit, picking up stacks of novels with her. She shoved them haphazardly on a shelf and turned towards Weiss.
"Okay! All done." She smiled.
Weiss nodded and grabbed Ruby's hand.
"Very good, Ruby. At least..." She glanced at the shelf. "At least for someone who just woke up." She said, and led Ruby through the shelves toward the exit. When they reached the door, instead of casually passing through, Weiss slammed into it.
"Ah!" She winced. Ruby instinctively reached out to her arm.
"Are you okay?! Are we gonna die?!" She yelped. Weiss hushed her quickly.
"Yes yes I'm fine! Relax. The real issue is that the door is locked." Weiss looked through the glass of the door to see if there might be anyone who could open it.
"We're gonna die!" Ruby squeaked, folding into a ball on the ground. Weiss knelt next to her again.
"Hush, Ruby, we aren't going to die. We can make this fun!" She beamed. "Lets make a camp and survive the night." Ruby's eyes lit up.
"Like the TV shows!" She said, bouncing up in the air.
"I- sure. TV shows." Weiss smirked. "Okay, lets go find a spot." She ran off, leaving Ruby alone at the exit.

"Weiss?" Ruby called out. "Weiss! Weiss, I think I'm lost!" She stood at one of the intersections of the aisles, scanning for the snow queen.
"Hey Rubes." Weiss smiled, popping out from behind a corner.
"AH! What are you doing!?" Ruby yelped. She punched Weiss gently in the shoulder, pretending to be angry.
"Hey relax, I found a nice little spot on the second floor. Theres blankets!" She said happily. Ruby followed her upstairs and through the rows to the back corner.
"Where'd you find blankets?" Ruby asked, picking up one of them cautiously.
"They were in a closet somewhere." She replied. "But thats not important. Look, theres at least 7! We'll be super comfy." Weiss plopped down on top of one and pulled another over her. Ruby squirmed her way next to Weiss, yawning.
"Hey, didn't you just take a nap?"
"Yeah, but it was a short one, I'm still tired..." Ruby said, bundling up blankets under her head for a pillow.
"You're such a child. Sleeping twenty-four seven."
"Hey! I am not!" Ruby protested, banging her fist on the ground.
"Oh hush." Weiss smirked. "Sleep now, won't you?"
"Hmph, fineee." Ruby whined. "G'night!" Weiss smiled, patting Ruby's head.
"Good night love."