Chapter 4: Truth

Today was the day of the service. Nat came over early in the morning to pick up Sophia so that Hank and I could get ready. Hank had the crew meet at his place early so that they could discuss the details of that day. The doorbell rang.

"I though you said 10am? It's 9." Erin said as she placed her coffee down. She had her hair and make-up done, so all she needed to do was get dressed. Hank got up to open the door, revealing a handsome Jay, wearing his uniform.

"Hey boss. I know that I'm early, but we just got word that Santiago's other men were all located today and have been taken down." Hank and Jay continued to talk about the case, while I finished up my coffee before realizing that it was time for me to change.

"I hate to interrupt, but Hank, you need to get ready for the funeral." Hank excused himself to get ready.

"You need to get ready, too." Jay said.

"Come, I need help." Erin said as she grabbed Jay's hand and dragged him into her childhood bedroom. She was glad that all of Sophia's stuff was in the other room. She knew that she was going to have to tell Jay about her soon, and so she promised she would do it after the funeral.

"I DON'T WANT ANY FUNNY BUSINESS UNDER MY ROOF, HALSTEAD!" 

"Yes sir!" Jay said as a blush creeped onto his cheeks. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Aww is Jay Halstead blushing."

"Shut up and get your outfit or I'm going to make you get dressed yourself." Erin chuckled and grabbed her uniform before stripping down to just her lace thong and bra. She heard Jay's breath hitch, and knew that if she didn't put her outfit on soon, they weren't going to make it to the funeral. She walked over and placed a kiss on his lips, but he reached out and grabbed her gently, being cautious around her shoulder. He wrapped his arm around her waist and bore his eyes into hers. She placed another kiss on his lips before getting up to put on her uniform.

"Stop being a tease." She slipped on her uniform, and watched as Jay closed his eyes to steady his breathing. 

"Jay, as much as I'd love to sit here and make out with you, we-"

"Come on, we all know that we aren't going to just make out."

"We are going to be late, Jay." He opened his eyes and walked over to her. Just as he was about to press his lips onto hers, the doorbell rang. She chuckled and grabbed his hand before dragging him to the living room. Jay sat on the couch as Erin opened the door to reveal her entire team dressed nicely in their uniforms as well.

"Hey Erin, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." They all came in and discussed how today was going to go. Trudy had arranged everything from the 10-7 call to the engraving of the stone on the 21st. The team needed to be their for each other on a day like today. 

---

TRUDY: "Attention all officers standby while we patch all sub-fleets for an announcement..."

TRUDY: "Dispatch to DETECTIVE ALVIN OLINSKY, 10-10."

"Dispatch to DETECTIVE ALVIN OLINSKY, 10-10."

TRUDY: "Attention all officers, Detective Alvin Olinsky is not answering his radio."

TRUDY: "Ten-Four, Authority HANK VOIGHT, DETECTIVE ALVIN OLINSKY is 10-7."

TRUDY: "Dispatch to all officers, Please observe a moment of silence for Detective Alvin Olinksy who was killed on May 09, 2018 while proudly serving this country. He was released from prison for false charges, but offered up his life to save those around him. He save a total of 32 children that day. He has proudly served District 21 for 30 years."

---

The ceremony finished, and the detectives headed back to Hank's house for the reception. Officers came and go to pay their respect, but eventually the crowd had died down, leaving just the firefighters and the intelligence unit. Everyone joked around to lighten the mood, but Erin began to feel pain and discomfort in her shoulder again. She also wasn't drinking, because she really just wanted everyone to leave and be with her daughter. The firefighters finally left, leaving just the intelligence unit to talk about the case. The sound of the doorbell ringing pulled her out of her thoughts. 

"MOMMY!" Sophia said running up to Erin. The entire room went silent. This was not how Erin wanted this to go. Sophia climbed up into Erin's lap and snuggled into her good side, as Nat came over.

"Hey, I didn't know that this was still going on, I'm sooo sorry. I would have kept her for the night."

"It's okay, thank's Nat." Nat left, and Erin could feel the stares of her colleagues on her.

"Aunt Kim and Uncle Tony." Sophia squirmed out of her mom's laps and went to her uncle. Jay's eyes stared at the little girl in front of him.

"Hey, babygirl, why don't you go get ready for bed with Grandpa Hank, then I will be up to tell you a story." Sophia nodded. 

"Don't worry, I'll go up and tell her the story, you sit and talk." Kim said as she kissed Erin on the forehead and led Sophia up the stairs.

Jay's eye peered into Erin's as Kevin, Adam, and Hailey sat in confusion. 

"Antonio, you can go too."

"Are you sure?" 

"Yeah." He got up and gave her a hug as well as a good luck smile before grabbing his coat and heading out the front door.

"So are you going to explain who this girl is and why she called you 'mommy'?" Adam said breaking the silence. Erin kept her eyes on Jay the entire time.

"Is she mine?" He asked.

"Her name is Sophia Camille Lindsay-Halstead." That confirmed everything for Jay. He got up and slammed his beer bottle onto the table, causing it to shatter everywhere. He grabbed his coat and made his way for the door.