Ch.6

Dinner was a quiet affair, everyone seeming to be lost in their own thoughts as they ate, all except for Daven who looked uncomfortable at our table for the first time ever. He eyed each of us carefully, knowing there was information he was obviously missing but didn't seem to want to ask any questions and I couldn't blame him. Things had gotten so chaotic so fast I was still having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all, but Roman was right. By the time I finished eating, I had relaxed enough that exhaustion swamped me almost immediately and several eyes shifted to me at once as I leaned back in my chair before wrapping my arms around my stomach. Daven eyed me worriedly, Johnny seemed concerned as well as he studied me closely, and Roman had yet to look in my direction making it obvious that he was irritated with my earlier attitude. Daven and Johnny both protested the moment I began to rise to clear the table before taking over for me leaving me alone with Vika and Roman.

"How is Adrian?" Roman asked Vika and she stiffened before looking to him in surprise.

"He's still resting but his color is returning, and he doesn't seem to be in as much pain."

"And how do you think he would handle the truth?" I fought back a smile at the question knowing that I had already asked her the exact same thing.

"He would never expose you, especially not once he learns the truth. He is a good person."

"Has he ever given you an inclination that he was going to shift?"

"I've seen his eyes flash amber."

Roman and I exchanged a quick glance, so his wolf was as far down as we had originally thought. "But no other physical responses?" He asked and she shook her head. "His shift is going to trigger, and soon." Roman explained as Daven and Johnny entered the room once more and immediately Johnny stiffened.

"Why?" Vika asked with a deep frown.

"We can all sense the wolf in him, if his eyes are flashing amber that means his wolf is close, being among the pack is only going to trigger it further."

"So, are you going to tell him the truth?"

Roman hesitated turning his gaze to me and then quickly glancing in Johnny's direction. "I'm not sure how we are going to go about telling him yet."

"How did you tell Adalyn?"

"He didn't." I said shaking my head. "I was with him when I shifted for the first time ever, he explained everything after that."

"What caused the shift?" Johnny asked and Roman let out a low, possessive rumble that had Johnny's eyes widening in understanding. All at once I watched as Johnny shut himself off once more, making his face unreadable as he leaned back in his seat as if he didn't have a care but I knew he was worried. The first shift was hard, there would really be no preparing Adrian for what was to come. Once a long time ago Roman had explained to me how hard it had been for him to watch me shift for the first time, to watch me go through all that pain as a bonded male had been miserable for him so I had no doubt that it would be for Johnny as well. From the way Roman talked that may not be the only thing to trigger Adrian to shift but I doubt it was going to be any easier for Johnny.

I caught sight of Daven and Vika trying to hide their smirks as they looked at us knowingly and I felt color flood my cheeks before I shook my head. "This isn't about me. This is about Adrian, I think we should talk to him and explain what's going on rather than let this sneak up on him. From what Vika has said he's had it hard enough life and even that is about to be turned upside down, lets ease him into it. Besides he needs time to heal that leg."