WWYCR: 0.8: chapter eight

a/n: i'm back and school is over so i'l be writing normally for the rest of the story (hopefully) so yay!

-

bucky woke up early the next day, his steel eyes staring at the ceiling, realizing how the navy pit in his throat didn't calm into a soothing purple-black mix as he slept. how the ceiling had color unlike the night before. the golden sparks were in the sun above him as it glowed onto the wall as it rose. he didn't sleep; his head kept him up yet again. you could never have a good day after another good day, could you?

he sat up slowly, quickly realizing steve's head was where his left arm would've been. bucky sighed at the man next to him, the super solider. the one who didn't go after him, but he went after the solider because he knew he meant something to him. his past. it haunted him and made him kill himself. it hurt him, so much.

he slipped out of the bed, his feet silent as he was taught in training, not to get caught by the people he had to kill. a wave of crimson ran over him silently, making him look up in sorrow and navy, asking god why it had to be today.

he put on dark jeans and a shirt, with his ball cap and black chuck tailors, silently leaving the bedroom and going outside. the sun was just above the river. it smelt like the letter d, there sherbet orange warmth falling and absorbing itself into his skin. he closed his eyes, letting the sun's rays calm him from the war that the night before haunted him in. he walked to the barn, slipping in and turning on the lanterns. quickly feeding the goats and smiling at the sight of gabriel drinking milk from his mother. 

bucky left the barn and went into the forest, slowly starting a hike to the inner city, knowing he had to go to the palace. steve knew he'd be going to ask to go back into the stone to save strange, as he'd be able to help save the universe. what he didn't want however, was for steve to come in with him. the crimson would drown him as the lions pushed him down and ate him inside of the bloody, meatball sauce of magma. he winced at the thought and quickened his pace.

the green leaved above him were flying and hanging on, like he did on the helicarrier, bucky sighed at this. all of the memories of being a solider colliding in a fastball to hit him in the gut once more, as it'd been doing all the night before. he let out a breath that never came back, just breathing out again on short oxygen. he looked up, the city so close, the main building in sight. he debated even going inside, wanting to rip himself out at the pain that was eating him alive, bucky clenched his fist, scratching his hip unnoticeably as he swiftly entered the city and walked down streets in and out, finding the correct building and walking in, meeting a receptionist.

"how may i help you today?" she asked, bucky painted on a smile of false hope.

"i'm h-here to talk to the head of the department of defense. my name is james barnes, i should be in there." bucky stated, pointing to the device, she smiled and nodded, her dark eyes glistening genuinely in the rays from the sunrise.

"yes of course, he's free now so just head up, tenth floor." she stated, bucky took a candy from her desk and waved her off, letting his feet take him up the large staircase to the tenth floor, not tiring him in the slightest. an e-flat ring stung in his ears, he sighed at the sound and knocked.

"kom in" he stated, bucky opened the door with pastel blue hands, or hand rather, he head of defense looked up, smiling at the sight.

"ah bucky, it's been a long time! how are you?" he asked, standing up and opening his arms. bucky took them in lightly, with a c-major chord in an c-minor song. he sat across from the second in charge at the moment, who'd been working with geniuses to get their king back, as obvious as it seemed.

"alright, how are you?" bucky asked.

"i've been better, what brings you here?" he asked, folding his hands and leaning forward. full attention on the former assassin, bucky locked his eyes into the man's, seriousness taking over him.