04

Shuri had decided to treat N'Deke to some well-deserved dinner. The two sat at her balcony, a large platter before them. There was vegetable rice, a thick brown sauce to go with it, some beef stew and a mix of freshly cut tomatoes and onions.

N'Deke squeezed some lemon onto his portion of rice, then scooped some into his mouth. He sighed in contentment. It was warm and hearty and filling. The perfect way to end the day, especially after everything that had happened at the coronation ceremony.

Shuri chuckled at him. "Slow down, will you? The food is not going anywhere."

"You're the one talking? Where has half of your plate gone already? We just started— Hey sorry, sorry!" He dodged when she threw a lemon at him.

"You aggravate me," she said.

He shook his head in amusement. For a few moments, the two ate as they watched the sun begin its slow descent in the horizon. It painted the sky with a variety of shades and hues. Wakanda truly had one of the most breathtaking sunsets.

After a while, N'Deke set his spoon down, eyeing his friend.

"What?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

He could hear her heart rate picking up, and it made him smile a bit, though not for long. "Are you okay?"

The meaning of his question did not go past her. "Yes. Thankfully the Dora Milaje stopped M'Baku before he—"

"No, Shuri. I meant emotionally. And mentally. Are you okay?"

She bit her lower lip. "Yes, I think so. I mean, I didn't expect the Jabari of all people to show up today, nor did I expect M'Baku to come for me the way he did. Perhaps he's been holed up in those mountains so long he went primitive." The tension eased up when N'Deke snorted, and it was Shuri's turn to ask, "What about you? Are you okay?"

"Honestly? I'm not sure." He hesitated for a brief second. "I just... I mean I..." She set a hand on his knee and squeezed it encouragingly. He drew in a deep breath and went for it. "Something happened today."

"You mean the Jabari thinking they could be ruler of Wakanda?"

"No. It's about my father, actually."

Shuri frowned and shifted to a more comfortable position. "What about him?"

"I hope I was only imagining things, I really do, but I saw a different side of him today."

"I don't understand."

"You see." He sighed. "When M'Baku was taunting your brother, I looked at him and he was smiling. And after M'Baku lost, he looked almost disappointed, and then..."

"And then?" She leaned in closer.

"I felt like had the Jabari not interrupted us, he would've accepted the challenge," he admitted quietly.

Shuri observed him for a moment, taking time to process everything he'd said. "N'Deke. Look at me." He did. "Whatever you saw was probably all in your head. Or you misinterpreted your father's emotions. He might have differing views, but I don't doubt he was rooting for T'Challa."

"I know Shuri, I know, but it's just... it's bothering me." He bit the inside of his cheek, deep in thought. Truth was, he wanted to discard this as a mere figment of his imagination and return to his day-to-day life. But it wasn't that easy. Something deep in his guts told him this wasn't something to simply discard.

She squeezed his hands. The gesture was comforting, and he forced the thoughts out of his head. He didn't want to ruin the rest of the evening.

"Maybe you're right. I mean things haven't been the best between us these days." Things hadn't been good since M'Bao had kicked Akina out. It was something N'Deke had held against him all this time, and perhaps it was clouding his better judgment.

She knew that wasn't the only thing on his mind, and so her eyes silently egged him on. Silently encouraged him to keep on pouring out his thoughts.

"Do you think that if I'd accepted to go against your brother, that Akina would, you know." He shrugged.

She couldn't help giggle at that.

"No, Shuri, I'm serious."

"I'm sorry." She cleared her throat, though a smile still played at her lips. "At this point, I think you're looking for a way to make something work between the two of you rather than show her you aren't as weak as she makes you out to be."

N'Deke remained silent. She'd read him so effortlessly. It seemed she knew him better than he knew himself. He could try to hide what he was feeling to everyone else, but to Akina and Shuri, he was an open book.

"Don't worry, she'll eventually realize it. Give her some time and try not to force anything, okay?"

He nodded. "Okay."

"She'll come around N'Deke. I promise. Now let's stop with all this pep talk and eat."

He chuckled. "Right. Can't let all this good food go to waste."

"You know me so well."

His heart felt much lighter now that he'd gotten everything he needed to get out. He was thankful for having Shuri in his life, and more importantly thankful for the opportunities he got to spend with her. It wasn't always easy, whatnot with her princess duties, but they made it work. He enjoyed her company as much as he could, especially since he had a nagging feeling they wouldn't get to be together like this again for a while.

• • •

Just finished season 2 of 13RW and needless to say I'm not okay. My heart is in pieces. Literally.

Anyway, next chapter should be interesting, and especially the one after it. Don't forget to drop a vote if you enjoyed and/or leave some feedback :D