20

When Akina returned, T'Challa was up and about. He, Shuri, Ramonda, Nakia, and Ross had finished devising a plan of action. She bowed. "My King. It is an honor to be able to serve under you again."

"Thank you, Akina. I'm glad to see you here."

N'Deke handed her her spear. "How'd it go?" he asked, expression mirroring Jeniba's curious one.

She nodded. "It went well. We can talk about it later."

"All right." T'Challa clasped his hands together. "M'Baku has declined to help us, which means we're on our own. We can't afford any mistakes. Is everyone ready?" Collective nods ran through the group. "Then let's go."

They began to walk. Shuri abruptly stopped. "N'Deke?"

They all turned around to find the boy frozen in his spot. He chewed on his bottom lip before shaking his head. "I'm going to stay back for a while."

Ross furrowed his brows. "You're not coming?"

"I will, just... Not now." He turned his back to the group. It felt selfish of him to back out, especially after agreeing to the well-devised plan they'd come up with. But he needed to regroup himself.

Jeniba opened her mouth to say something, but Akina stepped forward. "Go on. We'll catch up."

T'Challa observed the young woman for a moment then nodded. "All right. Hurry."

Shuri spared her friend one last glance before following the group. Akina wordlessly led N'Deke to one of the wooden platforms protruding from the mountains where M'Baku's palace was nestled. It overlooked the snowy peaks of Jabariland. Akina sat down and patted the spot next to her, inviting her younger brother to do the same.

"You didn't have to stay," he muttered.

"I didn't, but I did. And I'll stay here for as long as you need me to."

He peered over at her. Compassion stretched her features. He wanted to stay here like this forever, far away from the battle that awaited them, far from Erik and far from M'Bao. "I'm not sure I can do this, Akina."

"You fought off mercenaries in South Korea and risked your life to save His Highness, the General, Nakia, and this white man, and this is where you draw the line?" She raised a brow at him.

"It's not the same thing."

"You're right, it isn't, and neither were the things you had to endure outside of Wakanda." She placed her hand on top of his arm. "You have what it takes, N'Deke. You need to start believing in yourself more. You've been through more than you thought you would, I understand, but you're still breathing. Still standing."

He didn't seem convinced. Akina lifted his chin so that he was looking at her. "It's okay to be scared. I've felt fear my entire life, I know what it's like. But remember that it does not control you."

He nodded slowly. Her hand dropped. His focus wavered between his sister and the thought preoccupying his mind. "So, how'd it go? Meeting your real parents."

"Well." Akina leaned back onto her elbows. "It was odd. I had no recollection of what they even looked like and suddenly they were there, right in front of me. My reaction was probably not what they were expecting but I'm not opposed to reconnecting with them. We just need to take things slow."

"That's good. I'm glad you found your real family again."

She tilted her head understandingly. "They may be back in my life now, but it doesn't mean I will kick you out of mine, or leave. You and Jeniba will always hold a special place in my heart."

He smiled. "Good. I didn't want to resort to shackling you down."

They laughed. He reached in his pocket and pulled out the small orange bottle Erik had given him. He shook it, listening to the pills clinking against one another and the plastic container. Erik had been good to him. N'Deke was grateful that the man hadn't laid a finger on him. And though he had his reasons for acting the way he did, he'd come for his king and his country. He was a man who had hurt more people than he needed to. And M'Bao had sided with this man whose ambitions were far too big.

He threw the bottle. It fell soundlessly into the depths of the mountains. He had no idea what he was getting himself into, or what would happen after this, but he wasn't going to back down or run away.

Akina stared ahead. N'Deke massaged his fingers, gaze set on the sky pensively. He drew in a deep breath and stood up. "All right. I'm ready."

She nodded and mimicked his actions. N'Deke's head suddenly snapped to the side, eyes peering past her shoulder. She turned around to find M'Baku and her own father standing not too far away from them. Jabari men were gathered on either side of them.

"I have changed my mind," the Jabari leader announced. "We will fight alongside you and T'Challa. For Wakanda."