06

N'Deke couldn't help but replay what his father had told him that morning, right before he'd made his way to the training grounds.

"One day my son, you'll know what it means to have the fate of your people resting in your hands. You cannot spend your days chasing after the princess and ignoring the responsibilities that await you."

Now, walking behind Mekate through the all-too-quiet corridors of the palace, he wished those responsibilities would just wait. He was only 17, and he didn't doubt he still had a few long years ahead of him before he became the new Sound Tribe chief. So why was M'Bao suddenly putting so much pressure on him? It made no sense to N'Deke, and he did not like it.

They stopped in front of a set of big double doors. Mekate exchanged a few words with the Dora Milaje that were standing there and they opened them, revealing a large room. Some of the faces in there did not look friendly, or fond at the idea of having N'Deke there. He swallowed nervously.

"Finally. What took you so long?" M'Bao beckoned his son over.

"M'Bao, are you sure he is ready to be here?" Okoye asked. Her eyes rested on the man disapprovingly.

"We've already had this discussion, General. My final answer will not change."

The new king glanced over at N'Deke, who stood besides his father straight as a ruler. A mix of pity and sympathy crossed his face because he knew the young man didn't want to be there. Nevertheless, the meeting had to begin.

"A misidentified Wakandan artifact was stolen yesterday from a British museum," Okoye began, projecting an image of said artifact. "A man named Ulysses Klaue plans to sell the vibranium to an American buyer in South Korea tomorrow night."

N'Deke could tell how serious the situation was from the mounting tension in the room, and it made him feel like even more of an intruder. He squirmed almost imperceptibly in his spot, wanting nothing more than to dash out of there.

"Klaue has escaped our pursuits for almost 30 years," T'Challa said. "Not capturing him is perhaps my father's greatest regret. I wish to bring Klaue back here to stand trial."

"Wakanda does not need a warrior right now. We need a king," the Merchant Tribe leader pointed out sternly.

"A good king can perfectly well balance his functions as royalty and warrior," M'Bao said, earning a glare from the older lady. "In times like these, where anything can happen, we need both."

The Merchant Tribe leader scoffed, but didn't reply because the man had a point.

N'Deke felt a pair of eyes drilling holes through his skull. He turned his head and caught sight of Akina standing further away. It took him a while to recognize her. He was still getting used to the sight of her bald head, but there was no doubt it was her. She was perhaps the only person in this whole world capable of making him feel like crap with her simple presence.

"My parents where killed when he attacked," W'Kabi cut in, effectively regaining everyone's attention. Ramonda sighed out. "Not a day goes by when I do not think about what Klaue took from us. From me."

Okoye nodded. "It's too great an opportunity to pass."

N'Deke felt Akina's gaze growing in intensity. He felt it burning through his entire body, felt it consuming him whole. Or maybe that heat came from something else. Maybe it came from the fire burning within him, fueled by the names he remembered her calling him. Fool. Ignorant. Child.

Weakling.

He desperately tried to control himself but he couldn't. Before he realized what he was doing, he'd stepped forward, stealing the words right from W'Kabi's mouth. "Take me with you."

Silence settled as they all stared at him. Some were shocked, others surprised, and W'Kabi curious. N'Deke mentally smacked himself. He regretted the words as soon as they were out there. It didn't matter anymore. He'd already come to a decision. It was too late to back down, so he held his head high, awaiting an answer.

"It was wrong of you to bring the boy here, M'Bao," the River Tribe leader said after the silence had dragged on long enough.

"And I think it's wrong of you to question my decision." He turned towards his son. "N'Deke, what has gotten into you?"

"I'm tired of being seen as irresponsible and weak, baba. I know my worth, and I want to prove it to everyone gathered here."

"If you don't stop this instant—"

"Wait," Ramonda said, staring at him. For some reason, N'Deke felt like she was searching for something. He couldn't tell what, but judging by the way her eyes widened ever so slightly, it wasn't long before she found it. "Let him."

"Let him?" Okoye repeated incredulously. "He is just a boy."

"So was I once," T'Challa said. He nodded at his mother. She smiled at him, grateful he understood where she was coming from. "He can come. I hear from a couple sources that he's grown to be quite a good fighter."

"Your Highness..." M'Bao began. "He has no experience whatsoever. He is a fool."

There went that name again. Fool.

"I know your son is very capable. Believe me, he'll be of use to us. And I will personally make sure nothing happens to him, if that's what you are worried about. You have my word."

"Do me a favor," W'Kabi jumped in. "You kill him where he stands"—he glanced at N'Deke, as if he was addressing the latter as well—"or you bring him back to us."

"You have my word as well. I will bring him back," T'Challa promised before standing up. "Now, we will proceed with the mission."