Chapter 10 | On Trial

"All I ask  is that you defend me at my hearing. You and I both know that I am innocent. All my life I have been accused of evil doing when I have never done such things. It is an easy task for you, Star Butterfly..."

~•~

Star ran aimlessly. She didn't know where to, all that she knew was that she had to get far away from that place. Her mind was clouded with the events that happened recently. They attacked her from the inside out, and made her heart fill with guilt. The needle was placed on the mental record that she had formed in her mind, and it played again and again on repeat.

"You had lied to our family for generations!"

"...So you're not my great-great-great-great-great grandma."

"No, sweetie. I'm not."

"So that means... We're no more royal than anybody else!"

"You're still a princess, Star."

"No, Mom. We're nobody!"

She squeezed her eyes shut and wrapped her arms around herself, letting out a small sob. It was overwhelming for her to think about; The magic high commision had tampered with her entire lineage, and altered it in a dishonest, sinister way. Her mother was the descendant of a peasant, not the true heir and truthfully, she was not supposed to be the queen. Star wasn't a true princess, and not a Butterfly to begin with. For fifteen years, she was lied to, and she felt as if her entire life up to this point was a lie. It was agonizing for her to think about.

Star rammed the door open with her shoulder, and ran inside, her boots tapping against the marble floor. The ruckus was enough to catch the attention of the guards, but she quickly shot past them so they wouldn't catch her tears. She wasn't fast enough to sneak by River, who was in the royal kitchen with the leg of some sort of pheasant in his mouth.

"What's the matter, dear?" River said, his mouth full of poultry as Star came closer into view.

"Just my entire life," she snapped as she hopped up the steps. Her head did not peek up once as she spoke to her father.

The king shrugged, and went back to rummaging in the fridge. "Teenagers."

The blonde reached her room, making the door fly open as she ran inside. She quickly slammed it shut, and her emotions quickly came after. Her sobs grew louder as tears trickled down her cheeks and chin, blinding her line of sight. Star pressed her back to her door, too weak to even go to her bed to cry. She slid down against her door, hugging her knees as her thoughts began to consume her.

Down the rabbit hole her mind went, no end in sight. Inheriting the wand, her mom sending her to earth, attending school on Earth, meeting Marco... it was all... for nothing? She wasn't next in line for the throne, it belonged to Eclipsa and her family. They were robbed of what was rightfully theirs due to full assumptions and accusations. The thought of it made Star grow warm with anger, but it quickly fizzled out with another wave of tears.  It wasn't like her to cry so much, but the revelation was far too much for her to fathom.

Star looked up for a minute, and her eyes wandered to the wand in her hand. It was lilac in coloration, a star-shaped crystal in the center complete with butterfly wings. Why did it look like her? It wasn't hers. It was Eclipsa's. She was nobody.

A sudden burst of fury caused the girl to clench the wand tightly, and throw it across the room. It hit the wall with a 'clank', ricocheted and rolled on the floor. She flinched as she watched it fall face-up a good distance away from her. Soon after, she started to regret doing that, and hope she didn't break it before returning it back to Eclipsa at one point. She wasn't sure when, but down the line she would when the time was right. It wasn't her wand... it was Eclipsa's. She taught Marco how to use it for nothing. Another pointless act, and the more worthless she felt.