Chapter Two: The Move

Planes; one of the most god awful ways of transportation this world has ever seen, even in a first class seat. First off, the security they put you through is awful. You basically have to get naked just so they can make sure you wont kill everyone around you with something made of metal. Like, why do I have to take off my necklace. It's a necklace. I'm pretty sure I couldn't take over the whole god damn plane and kill everyone on it with a necklace.

Don't even get me started on the time it took to actually get the plane up and moving. We had two delays on the way to California and another delay heading to Australia because of 'fog on the runway'. At least I got to catch up on a few of my AskEmy questions.

The flight took forever to complete. My father and I were struggling to keep our sanity over the course of it. But; it had to be endured. No matter how I protested, dad wouldn't get the Australia idea out of his head.

"We'll be descending into Sydney, Australia in a matter of minutes," our pilot said over the loud overcome. He held a very thick Australian accent. I sighed, the fact we weren't anywhere near our original home finally sinking in. "It's a sunny, 75 degrees today so break out that sunblock."

I looked over at my dad. "How did we leave America in fall and come to Australia in the spring?"

He laughed and fastened his seatbelt, looking over me to make sure I had mine on as well. "Nature's confusing," he muttered with a half smile.

"This is it," our driver said happily. We were driving up a long winding driveway to the most beautiful victorian styled home I'd ever seen. It had to be at least three stories tall. True, it looked a bit smaller than our home in New York; but this house was far more charming. It was right in the middle of the largest assortment of wild flowers, all reaching up to about my waist. Excited, I unlocked my car door and hit the ground running; literally.

My sundress flowed behind me like ribbons in the wind. My hands outstretched as I ran toward the house, my red hair swaying in the breeze. I couldn't help but laugh, reminding myself of when I was a child; running in the weeds with my father, him hot on my tail. My mom would always watch and laugh, her eyes bright from the sun. That's how I always remembered my mother; sun kissed skin, her sprinkled freckles, her tall frame and petite stature. Not cold and dead like I'd last seen her.

As I approached the house, I saw my father staring aimlessly at the door, looking lost or maybe regretting his discussion to move at all.

"Dad?" I whispered, gently putting my hand on his back. "Is something wrong?"

The light seemed to return to his face like he was shaking himself out of a thought. He smiled at me, but his eyes didn't follow suit. "It might be a little big," he admitted.

I looked up at him, then up at the ten foot tall double doors made out of some old wood I couldn't place. "You think?"

He chuckled bitterly. "It's just us two, Emily. It's just us now."

***

The crowd erupted with screams and thundering applause as Ashton played the end of the song. I smiled wide, my face drenched in sweat from our last set. My guitar rested casually on my hip as the guys and I walked off stage. I felt entirely empowered. This was a feeling no one could ruin for me.

"Great show guys," our manager said with a smile, handing me a water bottle. Michael beamed at him as I took a long swig of water.

"It felt like our best show yet!" Ashton yelled happily, clearly experiencing some hearing loss from his mega drum set. It brought a laugh to my lips.