Chapter Three: School

Let me start by saying I'm usually not antisocial like this, but these girls, man. They made demons seem friendly. It's like as soon as I walked in with my high top sneakers and skinny jeans they all deemed me as a 'loser' for not wearing stripper heels and clothes that my ass would fall out of.

The whole day had been hell. I got lost looking for three of my classes and no one wanted to help the weird non-Aussie with anything. I'd managed to make it to lunch time. When I left New York, it was too cold to stay outside for more than a few minutes without a heavy coat. When I got here, the whether was entirely the opposite; warm and sunny. So, wearing a long sleeved flannel and skinny jeans while I sat outside, away from any sign of life, was not a smart idea.

It took me all of ten minutes to finish my food; I had an hour for lunch which would be perfect if I had my car... or some friends... I sighed and unlocked my phone looking over my messages. Things had been entirely dead since I got here. All my friends were an ocean away... I felt so entirely alone.

About twenty minutes into lunch I decided maybe I should check my email. Maybe Luke replied or something. I found myself constantly checking my messages now that I began to talk to him, hoping I'd have a new one every time I checked. They always seem to brighten my mood.

I held my breath as I checked through my inbox. Eventually I found an unread message from 'Luke_The_Penguin96'. My heart ran a mile a minute.

From: Luke_The_Penguin96

To: AskEmy

That is so absolutely crazy! I'm actually about to drive to Sydney today to meet my mother. Would you maybe wanna meet up over coffee or something? Since you're new here I could show you a few nice places. Plus, it would be nice to put a face with a name.

I... I didn't text her back, though she continues to pound me with messages. I'm on my last leg. I need to see her, but I know I can't. It's like my heart says one thing and my mind says another. I can't bring myself to block her. In the back of my mind I know I probably should.

I've been relaxing but I still can't get her off my mind. It's like wherever I turn—she's there, and it hurts me. I'm writing music about her now. I just want her to stop this madness. I don't need to feel like this, and I shouldn't have to, right? I mean heartbreak shouldn't last this long! It's been almost two years.

Ugh, I'm ranting now. I should go before I explode all over my keyboard. Bye, Emy. I'd really like to meet up with you if you wouldn't find it too weird.

-Luke

PS: Oh, okay. Just wondering.

I read the whole thing over a few times. This was just awful that he had to experience this right now. She is such a bitch to do any of this to him! She just had no right to hurt someone over and over like she was.

I sighed, then realized what exactly he was asking for in the first paragraph. He was coming... to where I live. How could that just... happen? Oh fuck, am I being catfished or something? I mean, I'll meet him in a public place where he couldn't kidnap me or anything. That... would be fine... right?

***

My things were packed, my skinny jeans on, and my heart was throbbing. I was coming home but I sure as hell didn't feel okay about it. Every thought I had went straight to the thought of her. I didn't want this. I thought this all would be over by now. And here I'm going to the very place we met. Maybe if I actually got to see Emy, it would take my mind off of her.

I sighed, then felt a sudden vibration in my pocket. I squinted, pulling it out and preying that it wasn't her again. Finally, I opened my eyes and saw that it wasn't her at all, but Emy. I smiled in relief and excitement that my new friend got back with me.

From: AskEmy

To: Luke_The_Penguin96

I'll meet up with you under one circumstance; please don't be some kind of rapist or axe murderer. I feel like I know you well enough to trust you and meet you. I agree, it would be really nice to put that face with a name. Maybe then I can stop imagining you as Luke Hemmings. I don't know many places to meet but I saw there was a Starbucks about a block away from my school. How about there? I can send you the address.

Anyways, I need you to be strong. You can't let her do this to you. You're too good for her anyways. I need you to block her number, to entirely let go of her. This is actually the next step. Any photos you have of her needs to be discarded. You cant surround yourself with those kind of memories. You can't let her win. If you keep letting her in, you'll eventually cave and reply. Please, trust me and do this.

Keep yourself relaxed and it's really okay to let loose as long as it's not destructive to yourself or anyone else. You can't bottle your emotions anyways. You have to cry when you need to cry, scream when you have to scream, laugh when you have to laugh and so on.

Maybe that's what we can do. If you turn out to be an actual teenager, I'll take you back to my house and we can scream. It sounds weird but it feels so much better. Personally, I could use it. But, not as much as you do. We'll see how this turns out.

-Emy

I smiled, but only a little. So we can meet finally. I checked the attachment and saw the address to the coffee shop she was speaking of. I knew exactly where that was. I'd be there by tomorrow afternoon and I wanted to see her then. Not a second later. It was already late on a Tuesday night and I had a rather long drive ahead of me. I'd see her, I'd get to meet the one person who seemed to understand the shit I was going through.

"Okay Emy," I whispered to myself with a smile. "Let's be real friends."