Chapter Nine: Falling Glass

The morning came slow. I'd realized around eleven o'clock that someone had called me in sick because no one had bothered to wake me up. At one, I began to realize someone else was sleeping steadily alongside me. At three, my eyes finally started to open. I yawned slowly and turned on my side feeling too warm.

It was then that I realized why.

Luke was sleeping soundlessly beside me. His arms tied around my body. The heat he let off was immense. I raked my mind in search of why he was here with me, sleeping in my bed. Oh yeah.

I cried and cried into Luke's chest. I could feel his steady breaths, the way his heart beat. I could feel how tight he held me as if he was scared I'd vanish into thin air if he let me go. I don't know how long it had been since he woke me up from my horrid nightmare but, all I did know was that I didn't want him to go anywhere.

"L-Luke," I muttered, my voice horse in my throat. I swallowed my tears and looked up at him. His eyes were so bright staring back into mine. His eye brows were scrunched up. "P-Please don't l-leave."

He nodded and gently kissed my head, his thumb moving away my tears. "Wasn't planning on it," he admitted with a small smile.

I rested my head back down on his shoulder and hugged him tightly. There was just something so comforting about Luke. I'd felt like I'd known him my whole life and every life before this. It felt like he almost completed me. A sigh fell off my lips as my eyes finally closed and my mind disappeared from reality.

Here Luke was, eyes closed peacefully, his lips slightly parted. He looked as innocent like a child as he lay here. It was weird to imagine this was the man who had dried my eyes last night and held me until I felt safe enough to slip back into sleep.

My hand gently outstretched, smoothly running my fingers along his jaw, feeling his day old brown stubble litter his face. He didn't even begin to stir. I let a smile hit my lips as I studied his angelic face. He looked so utterly exhausted, I couldn't bear to wake him. Slowly, I managed to get my body out of his grip, grab my glasses off the nightstand and make my way down stairs.

The cold wooden floors hitting my feet sent shivers up my spine. Leaving Luke left my body feeling so cold, like ice. The cool spring air danced around the kitchen as I approached it. Laying on the table was a note my father had written me in his rushed, cursive handwriting.

Emy,

Good morning, love. I called you in sick from school. I let Luke stay, but only because I trust you to act responsibly. Luke seems to be a rather good guy and I trust him as I do you. But, don't ruin my trust, my flower.

I'll be home much later in the day. I left money for food. If you ask me, I think you two should go on some sort of date. Do whatever you please but be home before ten. I'll take away your denim if you aren't. Take care of each other.

-Dad

I sighed softly, laying the letter down. I couldn't deny the bad feeling I felt in my chest. I was worried for my father. I didn't know what to do anymore. Between the two off us, there was enough denial to last the many winters to come. Neither of us could admit how hurt we were and because of that, we could do nothing to help fix it.

My mind dragged me through the water, bringing me to the dream I'd had last night. Raking through my memory, I grabbed out a pen from a drawer and flipped my fathers' note over, beginning to write.

-Water; I was drowning.

-The darkness of the water

-Cold