Chapter Thirteen

Charlotte

"Are your enjoying your time in New York so far?" Lily asked as we walked around the over crowded mall. It was the beginning of December and it was already crawling with frantic Christmas shoppers.

Shopping was never my thing, especially in these conditions, but I was getting desperate. I had to get out of that house, not to mention that Layla and I both needed some things if we were going to stay.

"It's been lovely." I lied. Lily and I had barely met, and didn't need to weigh her down with all of my issues. "I forgot how much I enjoy it at this time of year." That part wasn't a lie. I loved Christmastime in New York. The lights and decorations and music. The entire city seemed to buzz with Christmas spirit.

Even Parker, who I was positive physically couldn't smile, seemed to be enjoying himself.

"It sure is beautiful. I hope you'll be around for the holidays. The guys usually don't like to do much for it. I could use a little more female influence." She gushed. "I'm sorry, it's just so nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you from Gabe and Seth, but especially Luca. That man adores you."

Maybe at one point that was true, but it certainly wasn't the case anymore. "I think he's pretty upset with me right now."

"Because you kept his daughter from him?"

"Did Gabe tell you that?" I asked, a little taken aback by her forwardness. I wasn't in the habit of talking to my friends about my relationship with Luca, let alone a complete stranger.

"I just kind of figured. When he mentioned you were here so he could see his daughter, I guess it just clicked." She nodded towards Layla, who was asleep in her stroller. "She looks just like him."

"Painfully so." I agreed. Especially that mischievous smile. It was impossible for me to look at her and not picture him. "I can't imagine what you must think of me."

"Are you kidding?" Her mouth fell open. "I don't blame you in the slightest for running. This can all be so scary, especially if you're not used to it."

I chewed on the inside of my cheek, not wanting to break down in the middle of the mall. "I never should have left him like that. He was trying to protect me. I just... I couldn't separate him from the rest of it. I still don't know if I can."

Lily, my newfound ally, reached out and squeezed my hand.

"Did you know before you left? About Layla?"

I shook my head. "I thought I was late because of all the stress. A few weeks after we'd been gone, I found out. And I tried to call Luca, but... Antonio showed up instead. I let him get to me, and I never should have. I know Luca isn't the monster Antonio is, at least not deep down. I still kept her away, though. I didn't try to tell him the truth.

"You did what you thought was best to protect your daughter. He should never fault you for that. Maybe you should've tried harder to tell him, but you can't change what happened in the past. Luca will come around. He's a stubborn man, but he has a bigger heart than he likes to let on."

A single tear dripped down my cheek, and I shook my head. "I'm not so sure he will this time."

"Then that's his loss. He'll realize you were only trying to protect Layla. The first time something happens to that little girl, he'll lose his mind."

The first time.

Not only would there be a first time, there would be more. It wasn't like I didn't know Layla would constantly be in danger, but hearing it out loud hit me harder than i expected. This was her life now. Everything I tried to stop from happening.