Prologue

A/N: you don't have to read the prologue if you don't want to, hopefully you won't be too lost if you skip it. It starts out pretty boring so :/

~1610~

*John Grier*

"John?" I hear from a very familiar voice. I panic, not knowing what to do or say. I turn my head.

"Elizabeth! The love of my life! I thought you were going out to the market?"

"I did, but it started to rain so I came back. Why would you do this?"

Let me take this back about 5 years ago, when I first saw Elizabeth Horton pass by me while walking through the cathedral in the middle of the church service. I immediately fell in love with her and did everything I could to catch her eye. Eventually it worked and we were to be married in a fortnight. But there was something I never told her. I was in love with another woman by the name of Mary Samuels.

"We were to be married and I find you kissing another woman," she closed her eyes to let this all sink in.

"Elizabeth," Mary sighed, "none of this was John's fault. I wanted to tell him I love him so that he may call off the marriage and be with me. And then I kissed him."

Mary knew all about me and Elizabeth. She lied and took the blame to keep me happy in my marriage. But it won't happen.

"No, it wasn't her fau-" I was cut off.

"I honestly do not care who is to blame for this, but I do know a few things." Elizabeth opened her violet eyes, and they turned a deep purple. "I'm calling off the marriage. And John, one child in the 7th generation of your descendants will be cursed. None will know which child it is nor what of the curse until the winter of their 13th year."

"John," Mary whispered, "your eyes. They're blue." The once hazel eyes everyone seemed to love- Blue.

"And Mary," Elizabeth gave her the most evil grin. "my former greatest friend. The same curse goes with you; but your descendant will know their curse from birth. Now, both of you will become strangers to each other at sunset. Goodbye, and good luck to both of you." And with that, my former lover disappeared into thin air.

"I always knew she practiced sorcery. I should have told you." Mary's eyes started tearing up. She took her necklace off and handed it to me. "Here. Hopefully this will make some memories come back." I looked at it. It had a ruby heart with a sparkling diamond in the center. I took off my belt and gave it to her.

"Hopefully this will bring back some memories for you as well." We both laughed. "I'm sorry, I didn't have anything else to give you." It stayed silent for a minute as we both sat down.

"No this can't be enough, we have to remember each other somehow. . . Let's write everything down." So we got two diaries and wrote about our love lives and how all of this happened and finished just as the sun started to set. We said our goodbyes and left each other. That was the last I ever saw of Mary Samuels.

I thought hard about the curse and how it would affect my family. Who would the cursed descendant be?