Chapter 6: Study Time

*Hayes' POV*

A few hours later, I woke up when a cold breeze swept across my back and the journals were in my lap. I opened both to examine them, but the wind came again and flipped the pages. When it stopped, I read the pages that almost seemed identical.

"Summer, wake up! You need to see this." I nudged her until she sat up, then took Mary's journal from me, and started to read it.

"I visited a fortune teller from the circus today--"

"when I thought about what the witch had said about my descendant."

"She went under the name 'Madam Drauc'--"

"but looked very familiar. I asked her about the child--"

"and her response was surprising."

This was when the pages started to look different.

"She told me," I read, "that it would be a boy, he would be cursed by ice, and that his name is Benjamin."

Then it was Summer's turn. "She said that it would be a girl that caused destruction, but she couldn't catch a name. Hold on... didn't you say your first name was Benjamin?"

I scratched my head and opened my mouth to respond, but then we heard something fall from the other room.

Summer grabbed a metal pole, and I, a broom, and we rushed in. A squirrel was trying to scurry off with our food, and before i could think, fire shot out of Summer's hand, missing the animal but setting the nourishment ablaze.

"Oh.... fuck." she said, leaning her head back and resting her hands on them.

"Holy shit. what was that?" my jaw was on the floor by then.

"That, was the curse."

"So you just destroy stuff? is it different everytime?" i wanted to keep my distance and save my ass at this point, but I knew Summer needed help with her curse, and I needed help with mine.

"Nope, it's always fire; always has been. I was the reason my family's house caught on fire. My parents and my two brothers died, and I've been out here on my own. It still haunts me."

After that, we decided to examine the books more thoroughly the next day, and attempted to sleep.

That night, I hoped my dreams were only imagination.
"No, grandma, don't go in there!" Skylynn warned our grandmother not to enter the house.
"Sky," grandma said, "I've been worried about the others; I need to see how they're doing." She grabbed a key from under the mat. No matter how hard Skylynn tried to distract her, grandma wouldn't pay attention. When she opened the door, she saw 4 ice sculptures staring her right in the face.