Chapter Four

That night, Ginger's father had given her a long and winding speech about the importance of school and why she shouldn't cut her classes. She listened to him and waited for him to finish speaking.

"Who was that boy that dropped you off?" he asked her. Ginger rolled her eyes. She was so done with the entire conversation. She wanted to go up to her room and not be bothered.

"A friend," she said.

"A friend?" her father asked, "What friend? I haven't met him."

"Well you haven't met all of my friends," Ginger stated.

"What kind of friend?" her father inquired. Ginger smirked.

"Nothing is going on Dad," she muttered, on her way to the staircase.

"Sometimes with young boys, you can't be too sure," he said. She laughed darkly and then turned back to face him.

"Do you really think he could be interested in me?" Ginger asked, "Do you think anyone could?"

"Ginger-"

"By own boyfriend doesn't even want to touch me," she snapped, "You can't even-" She didn't finish her sentence. Ginger drew in a deep breath and composed herself.

"Are you finished speaking to me father?" she asked in a very serious tone. He sighed and pressed his lips together.

"Yes," he said.

She went up to her room and lied down on her bed. Despite being lectured about it, Ginger was glad that she left the school. She had fun that day and she felt that it was much overdue. Ginger's room was basically a timeline of her life. Her walls were filled with photographs documenting her life. It started with childhood and carried on through her adolescence up until this point. Ginger always loved the camera. She had been extremely self obsessed and vain. She still was. The only difference was, she once had been obsessed with how beautiful she was. Now, she was obsessed with how hideous she was. She went from one extreme to the other in only a month and she still spent her days in shock. Her mother had covered her dresser mirror with a tarp, fearing that Ginger would destroy that too. She decided that she needed something to do. She needed to find a pastime that would distract her from the swirling tornado of self-loathing that was her mind. She needed an escape. She couldn't spend her life high on marijuana. Ginger got on her computer and began searching the web for something- anything that could grad her interest. She needed to find something that she could be passionate about. Ginger believed that passion was one of the things that defined a person. She thought that the things they loved, largely defined who a person was. Ginger tried to think about what it was that she loved. The idea was frustrating because she couldn't think about anything. She liked fashion but she wasn't passionate about it. Her fashion sense was mostly about pleasing other people. She needed something that was about pleasing herself.

Ginger logged onto her Facebook. She stopped for a moment at her profile picture. It had been a beauty shot of her face. She wore a deep purple shirt, which seemed to bring the blue color out in her eyes. Her skin was soft and supple. All of her features came together to form a face that was feminine and delicate. She scrolled down on her profile and looked at her most recent post.

Don't hate me cause you ain't me!

She grinned and shook her head. It felt like she was looking herself from an outside body. She had been such a nightmare. She went to her newsfeed and read what other people were posting. They all seemed annoying. Something made her go to the search bar and type in Cleavon. She hadn't known his last name but he was one of the first search results to come up. Cleavon Griffin. His profile picture had been one of him and two other guys. Ginger assumed they were his brothers because the resemblance was undeniable despite the fact that they actually looked decent. They stood in size order and Cleavon was right in between the two. Ginger clicked on his photos and looked through them. A lot of them were with his family. He didn't really have any photographs with friends from what she could tell. She didn't know why she was sitting there, Facebook stalking him. He had been at the back of her mind ever since Nina embarrassed him. He hadn't deserved to be treated that way. He was doing her a favor by returning her lipstick and she had been so rude to him. Ginger had done things worse than what Nina did in her past, but now, it felt so wrong. She logged off of her page and shut her computer off.