Chapter Sixteen

Niko convinced Ginger to go with him to a bar on the other side of town one day. The roads were still slippery from snowfall and he had to drive extra slow.

“Why are we making an hour long trip to go to a bar?” Ginger asked, “We passed at least eight of them already.”

“Because this one is special,” Niko muttered, “Now stop complaining. We’ll be there soon.”

“What’s special about it?” Ginger asked. He didn’t answer. Instead, he reached out and turned up the radio volume, successfully blocking Ginger’s voice out. She frowned at him and shook her head.

“Real mature Niko,” she said. He wasn’t listening though. They spent the rest of the car ride like that. It seemed to be forever before they pulled into a parking spot that was conveniently placed in front of a bar. Ginger assumed it was the same bar they were supposed to be going to. Niko took his keys out of the ignition and got out of the car without saying anything. Ginger followed him.

            It had been called Hank’s Brewery and the place was at a truck stop. It was packed with middle-aged men with beer bellies and bald patches on their heads. Ginger frowned. For the life of her, she couldn’t think of one good reason Niko wanted to bring her here. She looked around. On one end of the bar, a group of men were playing a game of pool and on the other end some friends were drinking and partaking in casual talk. Their laughter seemed to fill the entire room and low folk music played in the background.

“What are we doing here?” Ginger asked as she turned to face Niko, only to find that he was no longer standing beside her. She looked around and finally placed him sitting at a booth a few feet away. She sighed and walked over to him.

“Niko,” she breathed, “Will you please tell me what’s going on?”

“Niko?” he asked with an obvious southern drawl, “Niko who? My name’s Cal Bradley.” Ginger grinned and rolled her eyes.

“Niko…” she began.

“No one by that name over these parts ma’am,” he interrupted her.

“You’re annoying,” Ginger mumbled. He looked confused.

“No. I’m Cal Bradley,” he repeated. Ginger didn’t feel like he would drop the act any time soon so she sat down across from him and folded her arms over her chest.

“Alright Cal,” she said, “Do you live around here?”

“Three miles west from here,” he said, “There’s a bar across from my place but Hank’s has the best brews I’d say.” Ginger laughed. She figured she’d find out why they were here eventually and that while she waited, she might as well enjoy herself. A woman wearing a low cut tank top and a flannel button down with tight jeans stood at their booth. She was chewing gum with her mouth open.

“Can I get you two anything?” she said. Her eyes set on Ginger and she stared for a couple of seconds before turning back to Niko.

“Just a beer for me and Carol over here will have a tall glass of water,” Niko said. Ginger gave him a pointed look.

“No,” she shook her head, “Carol will be having a beer too.” The woman gave them a funny look and grinned.

“A beer for Carol and-” she began saying, but she stopped when she realized she didn’t know what to call Niko.

“Cal,” Niko grinned, “Cal Bradley.” The woman was clearly charmed by Niko and his playful smile.

“Cal Bradley,” she repeated quietly, “I’ll get you twos your drinks, yeah?” The woman walked away and Niko looked around briefly before turning back to Ginger.