Chapter Eleven

It snowed that Thursday and it put Ginger in such a good mood. Unfortunately, the weather report said that the snow wouldn’t stick until Saturday. It was the day that Ginger and Niko were supposed to go to The Blue Dot and time seemed to drag on forever. They taped four people in the film room that evening. One of them was named Rosie and Ginger knew her as the girl every guy in the school had hooked up with at one time or another. She didn’t have many close girl friends. She usually hung out with the guys. Ginger hadn’t ever really spoken to her but she remembered saying some pretty mean things about her in her day.

“Get comfortable,” Kimmy suggested. Rosie was a pretty girl who dressed in a way that was extremely revealing. She had full wavy deep brown hair and always wore bright red lipstick. That day, she was wearing a tight red crop top exposing her midriff and black tights that drew way too much attention to her butt. Her hair was pushed to the side. Ginger tried not to think about the fact that Rosie was probably the prettiest girl in the school now that Ginger was out of the running. It sort of made Ginger hate her a little bit.

“We’re rolling,” Kimmy said finally. Ginger nodded.

“Tell us about what you’re wearing today,” Ginger stated. Rosie flashed her big white smile and stood up, modeling her outfit.

“Red shirt, black tights,” Rosie said.

“Why did you choose this ensemble?” Ginger asked.

“Cause my boobs look great in this top and my ass looks great in the bottom. That makes for a great outfit,” she said with a wide smile, as though she said something brilliant. Kimmy adjusted the camera a bit.

“Why does that matter to you?” Ginger asked.

“I like the way boys look at me when I wear things like this,” she replied.

“So you like the attention?”

“Yeah. I live for attention.”

“You don’t think you could get attention for other reasons?” Ginger asked.

“I could. But it’d require more work. Plus, sexual attention thrills me.”

“Why?”

“Because when a guy looks at me and likes what he sees, there’s a part of him that wants me. That craves me. And when someone wants something that you have, it gives you power,” Rosie stated.

“At what point in your life did you feel the most powerless?” Ginger asked. She didn’t know why she asked the question but she felt like there was a deeper reason for Rosie’s need for power. Rosie only frowned.

“Come again?” she asked.

“At what point in your life did you feel the most powerless?” Ginger asked. Rosie licked her lips and shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She stopped looking straight at the camera.

“When I was young…” she began, “My older brother made me do some things to him that I can never forget about.” The air in the room went dead.

“I was eight and he was twenty three,” Rosie said. Her eyes glazed over and she bit down on her bottom lip.

“He was really sick,” she continued, “And aggressive. He didn’t care that I didn’t want it. He didn’t care that I was scared. He didn’t care that it hurt me. He was real fucked up that way. And I didn’t tell anyone for the longest time because he made me feel like it was my fault. He told me they wouldn’t believe me and that they’d send me away for making up such stories. He said it was in my best interest to keep it between us. So I did. I had no power then.”