Chapter Eighteen

His parking space was empty the next day. Niko always had his car parked in the same exact space and no one ever dared take it, but on that day, the space was empty. Ginger tried not to think too much about it. She was sure he was okay. He was probably cutting school to go take care of some Niko business.

“Why are you standing in that empty parking spot?” she heard someone ask. The voice startled her and she turned around quickly. Carter was standing there in a casual blue button down and loose gray pants. He dug his hands into his pockets and looked at her expectantly.

“Waiting for someone?” he asked.

“No,” Ginger shook her head, “Just- I don’t know.” She walked over to him and gave him a quick kiss. He looked at her for a while.

“That’s Niko’s spot,” he commented.

“Is it?” she asked too quickly, “Oh yeah…it is.” He laughed and shook his head but didn’t say anything.

“Your doctor’s appointment is today after school,” he reminded her.

“Right, right. You remembered that?”

“I knew you’d forget. You’ve been busy these days,” he responded.

“The film project,” Ginger explained, “But it’s over now. We submit it today.”

“Can’t wait to see it,” he said.

“Same.”

“Do you need a ride to your appointment later?”

“A ride would be nice.”

“I’ll meet you here after the last bell then,” he stated. He looked at his watch briefly. Ginger didn’t even know people wore watches anymore.

“Sounds good Carter,” Ginger said. He stared at her for a long while.

“The scar is getting better,” he noted.

“Better?” Ginger asked, “What does that mean?”

“Just that it’s fading a little. Not as in your face.”

“Scars tend to get a little less in your face with time I guess,” Ginger replied with a slight tone of annoyance.

“I didn’t mean it in a bad way,” he said quickly.

“Class is starting baby, I’ll see you after the last bell,” she gave him a quick kiss and walked away.

            Ginger and Kimmy were excited to submit their project that day.

“I can’t believe it’s done,” Kimmy said to Ginger. Ginger smiled and put her arm around Kimmy.

“Are you still gonna hang out with me now that there’s no obligation anymore?” Kimmy asked playfully. Ginger laughed.

“Kimmy, being friends with you is the best decision I’ve made in a long time,” she told her.

“I’m glad to hear that,” Kimmy nodded, “Cause you weren’t getting rid of me easy.”

            They walked back to their seats. Ms. Mathers gave them a free period that day since it was the last day to submit projects and some people were doing last minute touches.

“Things with you and Griffin seem to be going well,” Ginger commented. Kimmy smiled.

“Yes, they are,” she nodded, “I like him a lot. More than any guy in the past.”