Chapter Four

I wouldn’t say that I was happy to be leaving. Sure, I knew there was a better life out there, but I still loved our island. It was beautiful. Or, well, at least it was in my eyes.

As the plane left the ground, a small gasp escaped my lips as butterflies flew around in my stomach in a frenzy. It wasn’t a bad feeling. It was more of a feeling like a rush of adrenaline or excitement. Both seemed like synonyms at the moment.

I stared out the window as I watched our plane circle around the island one last time before changing course. The last thing that I imagined before the island disappeared from view was that child’s body being pulled from the playground.

~~~

Okay, what the hell is it with Americans? Are they just bound and determined to knock you over? Literally, the first thing that happened when I walked into that airport was someone knocked into me. And then another. And then another f-ing other. I mean, seriously? At least try to avoid me. Or maybe they were. Or maybe I’m just too short to spot. Who knows. It was probably the latter.

As we made our way through the airport, Mom kept herself tightly latched onto my arm. When I saw an area called, “Luggage Pick-Up,” I was about to go over, but then Lavien stopped me and said there was no need since all we had brought were carry on items. Plus, we had basically taken a private plane and you got to keep all your stuff on those. But that’s his words, not mine. And I didn’t trust him.

Lavien led us out safely and told us to get in his car. It was a pretty nice one, too. The paint was a shiny silver and there was literally no flaws on the body. It must have been new.

I walked to the backseat and carefully set down the album and box before noticing that my mom was trying to get in the front seat. I immediately stopped her, making the excuse that I was selfish and wanted the better view of the road. After a few minutes of arguing, she gave in and went to sit in the backseat. I walked over and buckled her seatbelt before shutting her door and sitting myself down in the front. I buckled, earned an annoyed side glance from Lavien, and then we were off.

The drive was silent, the only noises being the sound of the engine and the small clicking sound that the blinker would make. When we finally reached the apartment building, it was pretty much a relief. The tension in that car had been so thick you could’ve cut it with a knife.

I quickly got out of the car and opened the door for Mom, unbuckling her seatbelt for her so she could get out. I then leaned over and grabbed the album and box before shutting both car doors.

“This way,” I heard Lavien say quickly. We followed.

The hike up to our apartment seemed long. We were on the third floor. While Lavien was unlocking the door, I took the opportunity to look around.

It was a relatively nice building, newly painted and redone, although it did seem a little dirty still. It seemed that many of the rooms around us were occupied as well. Made me wonder who our neighbors would end up being. Good people would obviously be ideal, but the way our luck had been going, it didn’t seem likely.

Finally Lavien found the right key and the door swung open. Lavien walked inside followed by Mom and I was about to walk in when I heard a door next to ours swing open as well with a slight creaking noise. I turned my head to see a tall man with light brown skin- he had to be over six foot- holding an empty pizza box in his hand. His hair was poofy, sticking out in some places. He must not have fixed it this morning.

I cleared my throat softly before saying, “Hello.”

The man looked me up and down, scoffed softly, rolled his eyes, let out a small, “Hi,” and then walked down the stairs towards where I presumed the trash was.

I watched him leave in shock. Were all Americans like this? I muttered a soft, “What an ass,” before walking inside.