Chapter Eleven

“Hamilton. Hamilton. Hamilton!”

I jolt awake. “What, what, what…” I yawn and sit up, looking around confusedly.

Jefferson looks at me and rolls his eyes. “It’s time for you to get up. And since it took you so long to wake up, you’re probably gonna be late.”

At this, I’m completely awake. “Wait, what time is it then?”

“11:10,” he states simply.

Now it’s my turn to panic. I look around frantically, leaning over the side of the couch to grab my bag. I pick it up and stand, kind of unsure as to what to do. My boss is going to kill me. After being late two days in a row there’s no way he’ll let me keep my job. He’s too much of an asshole to.

“Calm down, sheesh. I’m going to drive you.” He stands and walks over to a set of hooks that are hung up by the door. He takes what I’m going to guess are his car keys off of one. “Let’s go.”

I blink, slinging my bag over my shoulder. “R-Right.” I had been staring. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking. How could I stare at someone like him? I sigh and follow him out of his office.

We walk silently, me just a few steps behind him. Actually, no, it’s probably a lot more than just a few. His long strides are hard to keep up with and he’s making no point of slowing down just because I’m there.

He unlocks the car doors. The clicking sound makes me flinch and once again I tear my eyes away from him. The fact that I keep staring at him so much is scaring me a little bit.

I walk around to the passenger side and open the door. I haven’t been in a car since Lavien took us to our crappy apartment. It brings back bad memories. Well, rather, the start of bad memories but in my head at the moment they’re all the same thing. As I get in the car, I sigh and run a hand through my hair before setting my bag in my lap and buckling my seatbelt. Jefferson starts the car shortly after.

The drive is silent. I spend most of my time staring out the window and watching the world pass before my eyes. Jefferson just drives silently.

Finally, I break the silence and turn towards him. “Do you even know where you’re going?”

“No, not really.” He doesn’t even give me so much as a glance.

“It’s the bar on the corner of Walker.”

He nods at this. “Ah. I know that place. My friend owns it.”

“You’re friends with that son of a bitch, Madison-”

“Hey. Watch your tone. He’s not bad once you get to know him.”

“Yeah, well, your ‘friend’ almost fired me yesterday all because I was a few minutes late. Also, it was because I was talking to you, might I add. And now because of him I have basically no time to eat or sleep or visit with my mom and this entire thing is just one big mess. I don’t even know what-”

“Shut. Up,” he says, clearly annoyed. “I’ll talk to him and get things squared away, okay?”

I narrow my eyes at him. “You better.” I turn back towards the window, hugging my bag to my chest.

~~~

I flinch slightly. There’s screaming coming from Madison’s office. Occasionally I can make out different voices but not very well. Majority of the time they’re yelling at each other at the same time.

It makes me wonder why they’re yelling so much. I don’t think the issue is really a yelling matter. Well, I do because I’m a direct recipient of it and feel it was unfair, but I didn’t think Jefferson would, especially since Madison is supposedly his friend.