Chapter Seventeen

It’s been a few days since Jefferson kissed me and he basically hasn’t left my apartment since, insisting on taking care of me because it was his fault. I won’t argue with him one that because it was, but still. I’ve never had anyone coddle me this much.

Jefferson has been out in the living room for the past half an hour now, which has given me some time to think and be by myself. All that keeps replaying through my head is his lips connecting with mine, their softness, the pure bliss of it all. That, and my reaction afterwards.

He had slowly pulled away and I had just stared at him with wide eyes, not knowing what to say. How could I? He had just kissed me out of the blue. My heart was beating so fast I felt as if it could burst. There was a sudden heat that came up to meet my cheeks and I quickly covered that up as me being angry. I pushed him away roughly and started cursing him out, asking him why the hell he’d done that, etc. It was embarrassing. Now I’m wishing I hadn’t done that.

I let out a sigh and sat up, ignoring the cut on my stomach telling me not to. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and shakily stood. I needed food. I had refused to eat pretty much everything that Jefferson had given me, and that was now showing to be a mistake.

I walked carefully over to the bedroom door and glanced out. Jefferson was nowhere to be seen. Maybe he had left? But I didn’t hear the door close. It was possible he had left quietly because he hadn’t wanted to disturb me. Yeah. That was probably it.

I slowly walk into the kitchen, immediately going over to the fridge. I can barely lean forward, so I stick with the stuff that’s on the top shelf. I settle with an apple and shut the fridge. Just as I’m about to go over to the sink to wash it off, the front door opens.

My immediate thought is to hide, so I drop to my knees with a thud. It sends shocks through my body and I grit my teeth. It was then that I realized I could never be a ninja.

I don’t even get the chance to try and stand up before Jefferson is at my side. I let out a breath I didn’t realize I had been holding, glancing at him. His eyes are filled with a mixture of confusion, fear, anger, and worry. I look away.

“I thought I told you to stay in bed and yell if you needed me!” he says sternly, voice slightly raised.

I look to the side. “You weren’t here. I looked. Besides, I’m a grown man. I can handle myself.” The words come out harsh, but Jefferson started it.

“Fine, fine,” he grits his teeth and helps me stand, obviously not wanting to fight right now, “What is it that you need?”

“I’m hungry,” I say.

He chuckles softly. “About damn time. You haven’t eaten since yesterday.” He leads me back into my room and sits me on the bed. I lay down from there. “I’ll fix you whatever you want.”

I think for a minute, tapping my chin for dramatic effect. “I’ll have a ribeye steak with sauteed mushrooms, a bourblanc sauce…” I look at Jefferson to see him staring at me with wide eyes and confusion. I smile at this, holding back laughter. “I’m just kidding. I’ll have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, please.”

“Alright.” He smiles softly before leaving the room.

I stare blankly at the wall in front of me. I don’t even know what to think anymore. Do I like him or not? My heart keeps pulling me in so many different directions, I can’t focus on one emotion for maybe a minute. One minute, I’m sad and upset, and the next, I’m happy.

Then again, this also might be my crazy brain telling me this, considering I only notice it when I’m by myself and staring at a wall.

A few seconds later, Jefferson comes in with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a plate, cut in half diagonally, crust off. There’s also a fork on the plate, for some reason, which is confusing me, considering I don’t need it.