Chapter Ten

The nine hours go by slowly. By the time my shift is over, I feel like I could keel over at any minute, that’s how tired I am. I change out of my uniform in the bathroom and pull on my regular clothes once again. I sling my bag over my shoulder after shoving my uniform inside it and then exit the stall.

Before I exit the bathroom, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. It doesn’t even look like me. I look like a half-dead human being. Maybe I am. I’m not sure. A small sigh escapes my lips as I leave.

I exit the bar and walk down the sidewalk silently. I have quite a bit of time before I need to get to my next job so I don’t have to walk fast. It’s not like I’m in a hurry to get there anyways. I’ve never really looked forward to going to a job but now more so that I’ve come here. Maybe it’s because there’s so much more stress here. Or maybe it’s always been there and I’ve just never noticed. I shake my head to clear my head of the confusing thoughts.

My eyes stay on the sidewalk as I go. Occasionally I’ll accidentally bump into someone and apologize before continuing on. I rub my eyes as I go, trudging along the crowded sidewalks.

Sooner than I would like, I reach the restaurant where I work. I walk in the door and go to the back to change. I shove my other clothes in my bag once again and sigh. I really don’t want to be here, but I know I have to.

Shoving my bag in my locker, I walk back out, ready to start my shift. For this job, I work from opening to closing. 9 am to 5:30 pm. Eight and a half straight hours of working. Yay.

I stretch before walking over to the front desk, waiting for people to enter. It doesn’t take long before some do. This place is pretty popular for breakfast, so I’ve heard. That would explain why there’s already a party of six walking in. They look like a family. I wonder what that feels like.

“Table for six?” I ask, trying to smile as nicely as I can. I probably seem creepy. The grandma is looking at me weird.

“Yes,” a woman, who I’m assuming is the mother, says.

“And three kids menus?”

“I’m not a kid!” shouts one of the boys. He looks like he’s going to kill me.

“Calm down, Francisco. Yes, three kids menus,” the mother says, but the boy keeps going on and on about how he’s not a kid.

“Alright. Right this way.” I lead them throughout the restaurant and to a booth, waiting for them to sit. Once they do, I say the normal stuff, “Hello, my name’s Alex and I’ll be your server this morning. Can I start you ladies and gentlemen off with some drinks?” They say what they want at a fast pace, finishing before I even finish handing out their menus. “I’ll be right back with those.” I give them another small smile before walking back into the kitchen.

As I pour their drinks, a colleague of mine walks in. I don’t know that I’ve met them. It doesn’t matter, though. I just pour the drinks and walk back out. I don’t have time to talk to anyone right now. After what happened at the bar, I’m afraid of making even the smallest mistake.

The family is happily chatting when I arrive back with their drinks. I list off the drink as I hand it to the correct person to make sure I don’t screw up.

“Are you all ready to order?” They nod and again say what they want at a fast pace. I collect their menus, tell them I’ll bring the food as soon as it’s ready, and walk back to the kitchen. I write down what they wanted on a ticket and hang it up for the cook. She starts working immediately.

As I wait for the food, I lean up against one of the counters so I can be out of the way. In the corner of my eye I see the colleague that I had seen before walk in. Even just being near him gives me a bad vibe.