Chapter Eight

The rest of that day was a blur. I remember them making me sit out in the waiting area while they checked Mom out. I remember one of the doctors coming out to give me an update. She said she was, and I quote, "terribly sick."

It took a moment for that to soak in. I had already lost my dad and now I was potentially going to lose my mom too? I slumped back down in the chair and stared at my feet, "admiring" the tattered laces and soles. I would really have to buy a new pair.

I stood and made my way down the hallway, following the doctor. Before I entered Mom's room, I could hear the faintest sounds of beeping machines. I sucked in a sharp breath and then entered the hospital room, a small smile on my face as I sat down in the chair next to her bed.

She looked weak as she whispered a soft, soothing, "Hey, Alex..."

"Hey...," I said softly back. "How're you feeling?"

"Just a little tired, that's all. Did the doctor's say how long I would have to stay here?"

I shook my head slowly. "No, but I'm guessing it's going to be for a while..."

"Oh," she murmured and a small sigh escaped from her lips. "I'll prove I can get out of here faster than anyone else who's set foot in this hospital."

I laughed a little. "Alright, you do that," I said and I took her hand in mine. It wasn't long after that and she fell asleep.

~~~

"There, my nosy neighbor, I've told you what you wanted to know. Can you at least allow me to have an interview?" I mutter with a sigh, running a hand tiredly through my hair.

Thomas Jefferson, the poofy-haired tall guy, taps his pointer finger to his chin. "Hmm, well, I don't know-"

"God dammit, just give me chance!" I half yell. My frustration got the better of me. But I can't let him win. I must come out of this victorious.

"Fine, fine, fine, do you have a résumé with you?"

My heart immediately jumps with excitement. "I, uh, yes, I do." I pull it out of my bag and hand it to him.

As he looks over it, Jefferson nods along, humming out a few "mhm's" and "uh-huh's" as he goes. It takes him longer to read it than I would have expected. That, or he's just trying to be a dick and make me wait even more. The second scenario seems more probable.

Finally, he sighs. "I have to admit, your résumé is good."

"Thanks." I nod. At this point, I'm biting my nails.

"As much as I hate you, I have a feeling you'll be a good worker. So when can I put you in for schedule-wise?" He looks at me curiously.

"Um..." I think back quickly to the other jobs that I have and when I'll be able to work. "Anything after 8 p.m. should work."

Jefferson scans over the scheduling sheet. "Alright."

A small sigh of relief escapes my lips as I stand, as does he. We shake hands. "Thank you for the opportunity," I say, gratitude showing more than I would like in my voice. Damn my desperation.

Jefferson rolls his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, sure." He waves me away and as I exit his office, I can't help but notice the small look of sympathy that passes over his face as I leave.

I walk down the hallway and glance around at the people working at the different cash registers. There's three of them, none of which are bothering to look back at me. They all look similar. I'm pretty sure they're sisters. Then another guy comes out of the bathroom and starts stocking shelves. He seems like the kind of guy who would give advice that you wouldn't want to listen to.

Eventually I leave the small store. I shiver as the cool air runs down my neck, pulling my light jacket up over my shoulders. It shouldn't be as cold as it is right now. After all, it's June. But what do I know. I'm a foreigner.

I yawn softly, stretching my arms up in the air. I'm exhausted. I've been working two jobs for the past month and a half or so, getting as much overtime as I can, then heading over to the hospital right afterwards to go check on Mom. Sometimes I'll have interviews or classes to earn citizenship, like today, that I'll go to afterwards. Well, actually, this was a first as far as the interview goes and I was kind of begging him for a job, so I'm not sure if it even qualifies as an interview.

Anyways, it's tiring but worth it. I have to make sure Mom can get all the treatment she needs and I need to pay for the rent and everything on top of that, plus I need to pay back that loan. I'm starting to regret taking that check from Lavien.

I trudge my way up the stairs, sleepily unlocking the door, opening it, and shutting it behind me. I lock it again before walking over to my room and collapsing on the bed, immediately falling into a deep, much needed sleep.

•••

I decided to change things up a little and go into present tense. Sorry the beginning's all split up. I didn't know it would go this way. But anywhoo, hope you enjoyed the chapter. ^~^