Chapter 11- Four offers

Arriving at the dance, Marco found that almost all his classmates were there, disguised as all kinds of things. They moved from side to side, chatting and smiling, until a group of six people, all in the uniforms of Mr. Snow's park, led them to a place they had not seen before.

At first, it looked like an ordinary pool, only it had what appeared to be a spring. And then, something broke the surface of the water, and the mouth of a submarine appeared, one as big as Marco's house ... which meant that the entire vehicle was at least five times larger.

Mr. Snow was waiting for them, smiling.

-Give them welcome, young people. It is an honor to have them here, to be the first active submarine in the history of the city. They can tell this to their grandchildren! - General laughs, excited looks - Now, I welcome you to my son's birthday party, Jack. Please, come and enjoy the ride. It will be one that will always be remembered.

Two by two, they went through the door, which looked like a spaceship, and went down a spiral staircase. Inside, the temperature was pleasant, but it was still fresh. They passed through a corridor until they reached an immense ballroom.

- Ladies, gentlemen, welcome - Marco recognized the girl from the chocolate factory - In a few seconds, the submarine will submerge in the waters of the underground river. You may feel a slight wobble, but it will only be for a couple of seconds. We hope you enjoy your stay ...

"They're watching you, Marco," Star said, smiling. "And you too, Tom," he warned the other.

-It is that we are pretty boys with good suits- said the devil, smiling.

"And the ... knowing that there are people who appreciate you makes you happy," Marco said, squeezing Tom's hand and taking Star's.

-Oh, Marco- said the girl, and hugged them.

By the time the first dance started, no one was surprised that the Fire Lord and the Mariachi skeleton danced together.

.-.

At one point during the evening, the lights went out and a famous local singer began to sing a version of one of the fashionable songs. Star liked him, Tom not so much, and Marco found that he had taken too much juice. He said goodbye to Tom with a wave of his hand and asked one of the waitresses where the bathroom was.

When he was about to return to the dance hall, he noticed that there was a figure, dressed in white and blue, hunched and restless.

"Jack?" The blond boy snapped his head up and, seeing him, nodded. It looked like it was a doll with a rope too tight - Are you okay?

"No," he said, and seemed to deflate. "I mean ... I do not know.

- Do you want me to call your father, or someone ...?

"No, please." He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and opened them again. "But you can ... could you come with me for a few minutes?" There's something ... something I need to tell you.

.-.

- Jack? - the boy seemed somewhat nervous, taking him by the hand to a place that did not seem to be enabled for the celebration. - Where are we going?

-Marco ... - the voice trembled. And the hand that held hers too. -Te ... I'll tell you when we get there, okay?

(Four destinations, partner, ally, two not yet defined, Mix of possibilities.)

Curious, Marco let himself be carried away, leaving behind the ballroom and the noise. The wristband was hidden under a glove, in the same hand Jack was taking. It was a strange feeling, as if he were moving away from the main story.