Prologue

My job as a distraction was complete. Maybe setting a skyscraper on fire was overkill, but it was a great way to get surrounded by police.

Pedestrians had long been evacuated, the surrounding buildings were deserted, and it was just me, the burning skyscraper, and my enemies.

Umbra stood before me, radiating his disapproval. Behind him, dozens of police officers trained their guns at us: more specifically, me. I wanted to scoff. As if those could harm me.

"Stop this, Pyro," he commanded in an authoritative voice.

I tilted my head to the side. "You can't do much to me at night," I remarked, a smile twitching on my lips. I happened to know Umbra could only control shadows cast by the sun; since the sun had long retreated behind the horizon, there remained no shadows for him to move.

Umbra took a single step forward. I did not waver.

"Henry," he tried, gently prodding me.

"Don't call me that!" I shrieked. Fury uncoiled within me at the use of my former name and I snapped my fingers in quick succession.

Umbra leaped back as multiple fires burst in my line of sight.

Officers took this as their cue to shoot, and gunshots rang out on the open street. I sneered and snapped my fingers once more; a towering inferno blazed up several stories at my command directly in front of me. No bullets reached me.

The fire died down and I smirked at the pathetic excuse of policemen cowering behind their cars. Only Umbra stood proud and strong in front of them.

"Pyro," Umbra said. "We used to be friends. Please. I don't want to see you get hurt."

I chuckled, regaining my composure. The biting wind displaced a strand of my ash-tinged hair and I tucked it behind my ear. "I'm not the one you should be worried about, Quinn."

He spread his hands in a pleading gesture. "Haven't you caused enough suffering? You've brought down an entire city. You've ruined lives. You've done irreparable damage to this country. Haven't you had enough?"

I pondered this. I should be satisfied. But I wasn't, and I wouldn't be until I found her. If that meant wreaking more havoc, I didn't mind.

Vaguely aware Umbra was not the only hero dispatched to capture me, my senses remained on high alert. I strained my ears and scanned my surroundings, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity to speak to him. The chances of us crossing paths were astronomical- I hadn't even known Umbra resided in this city.

"Tell me one thing, Quinn. Do you think I deserve to die?" I asked. Umbra's eyes widened, momentarily stunned by my question. "Answer truthfully," I added, raising my fingers. If I snapped them, I'd kill the fleet of officers seeking cover in their puny cars. As much as I desired to avoid needless deaths, I had no qualms with ending useless lives. Especially useless lives that interfered with mine.

He swallowed, the heat of my earlier flames coating his skin in a thin sheen of sweat and pasting his golden locks to his forehead. "I don't think you deserve to die," he said. "A lot happened. But I do think you deserve to be brought to justice."

"Hm," I said. Amusing.

Pyro, I have eyes on her. I need you, Wais said urgently in my mind.

My heart froze. She's here? I asked, my heart throbbing. Umbra stared at me, confused, but I awaited Wais's words anxiously. If Quinn made any move to restrain me, I'd engage him in combat, but right now, she was my priority.

Yes, she is. But Parker was defeated and Kaz is AWOL. I can't reach the others, either. Her escort is protecting her and I can't retrieve her alone. You need to come quick.

I'm on the way, I replied. Wais's presence disappeared and I glanced at Umbra. "I hope we can catch up sometime soon," I said to him.

Realizing my next step, he cried out, "Henry, wait!"

But I was already gone.

Flames burst from the soles of my feet and the night air ripped at my skin. I hovered above the city, the faint smell of smoke tickling my nose.

Chaos ensnared every street. Fires consumed buildings, unevacuated people keened loudly, and bystanders ran in no particular direction, seeking escape from the madness.

None of it mattered.

I hovered in the air for a split second before launching myself in the direction of Wais's telepathy. She was here. She was alive.

"I'm coming," I murmured aloud.